Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Kia Spectra GSX

a007apl
01-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Kia still is far from garnering the name recognition of Toyota or Honda, but the South Korean automaker is trying to do what those Asian makes did in the 1970s - crack the lucrative U.S. car market.

Certainly, it has taken its time. Kia spread its dealer network across the country over several years, finally hitting the Milwaukee market in late 1998.

But now it seems to be shifting into high gear, expanding its vehicle lineup, which stood at two vehicles for years, to four.

Spectra is one of its new arrivals, a good looking four door with a hatchback. The test car was a white GSX model with a snazzy accent stripe down the side. Base price: $12,995.

Oh, didn't I mention that Kia was trying to thrash its way into America's pocketbook with budget-priced models?

Like the Japanese makes in the 1970s and Hyundai (now Kia's parent) more recently, Kia is offering more goodies per dollar than its competition.

The Spectra is about the same size as a Toyota Corolla, but rides on a nearly 4-inch longer wheelbase, which tends to give it a bit better ride. It's also similar in size to the Saturn S series sedan.

But it wins on price, once you add in the extras on the other cars, such as alloy wheels, power windows and locks and air conditioning. Even comparing the base GS model, Kia has the edge. It starts at $10,795 and comes with a rear defroster, two-speed wipers, remote control mirrors and power door locks operated by a key, not a fob.

From a performance standpoint, the Spectra stacks up well against both the Saturn and Corolla. Its 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine delivers 125 horsepower, the same as Corolla and 25 more than the Saturn.

Coupled with a somewhat notchy five-speed manual transmission, the test car's acceleration was good in first gear but came up a little lacking the rest of the way. Plus, the engine was a tad buzzy under heavy acceleration.

But it was sufficient and gets the car to near freeway speeds, like most inexpensive subcompacts, by the end of an entry ramp.

Handling is moderate, meaning there is a bit of play in the wheel, but the car feels fine in most maneuvers. There's a little body sway in turns, but very controllable. Kia uses front and rear stabilizer bars to help here.

Ride is good for a small car. Again, the longer wheelbase helps in eliminating much of the choppy ride frequently found in small cars.

Braking is fine. The Spectra uses front discs and rear drums with anti-locks available for $800 extra.

Inside, the car featured a gray and black cloth interior with strands of color mixed in the seats. It was pleasant and gave the car a more youthful look.

The dash is well laid out with everything easy to reach. The radio was OK with moderate-sized buttons and came with a CD player, a $295 option. The rotary climate control knobs were fine and easy to adjust.

Spectra feels larger inside than you might expect in this size car, having more interior space than a Corolla. Head and legroom are good up front and moderate in back. It was a little difficult to maneuver my foot to get it out the back door when I tried out the rear seat.

Spectra's seats themselves are firm but fine, offering good lateral support both on the top and bottom cushions. They could become a little hard on a long trip. Kia also includes a knob on the seat side to adjust the bottom cushion's angle, a nice touch.

In addition, the rear seat is split to boost trunk space, which is a reasonable 10.4 cubic feet.

Gas mileage was excellent. I got an amazing 32.8 miles per gallon while the EPA says to expect 23 mpg city and 29 highway.

Give Kia credit for attempting the four-door hatchback design. It has long been one of my favorites because of its practicality.

Like a sport ute, you flip up the hatch, lower the rear seat and pile in all your gear, lumber, etc. For some reason, Americans have never warmed to that concept, although it's popular elsewhere in the world. This one added a rear window wiper, a must, for just $95.

While Kia's concept is good, the execution of its fit and finish is not quite up to the Japanese or U.S. makes yet. While the doors closed solidly, the engine's buzzy sound and a squeak in the rear suspension planted a few seeds of doubt. A screw in the driver's door handle inside also was off center and the storage box between the seats didn't fit well.

Kia and Hyundai, the other South Korean automaker and Kia's parent since 1998, are offering longer warranties to relieve some of that concern. Kia now offers a five-year or 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and 10 years or 100,000 miles on the power train. It also provides five years or 60,000 miles of roadside assistance.

As noted earlier Spectra is just one of Kia's new models. It also launched the Rio, its smallest car, this year and continues to offer the Sephia, which is priced between Rio and Spectra. Rio models begin at about $9,000, including destination charges, and the Sephia at $10,500, also with destination charges.

Kia also sells the Sportage, a small sport utility vehicle.

All in all, Spectra is worth a look if you're in the new car market but want to stay on the low-cost side. You'll get some extra goodies you won't find on the competition at this price.

MADE IN: Wha Sung-Gun, South Korea
ENGINE: 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder
TRANSMISSION: 5-speed manual
CARGO: 10.4 cu. ft.
MPG: 23/29
BASE PRICE: $12,995
DEALER'S PRICE: $11,795
MAJOR OPTIONS: AM/FM stereo with CD player $295
Cruise control, variable speed wipers and power mirrors $400
Rear wiper $95
Floor mats $69
DELIVERY: $450
TEST VEHICLE: $14,304

Cmotif
11-15-2002, 08:31 PM
I'm enjoying my 2002 Kia Spectra GS. It is a decent car. Go take one for a test drive and I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

The only drawback is the hankook tires that it comes with are flexy garbage. If you get one, get new tires as soon as possible. That way you will be able to enjoy that Lotus designed suspension on the car.

Cmotif <><

briguy
07-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Cmotif
I'm enjoying my 2002 Kia Spectra GS. It is a decent car. Go take one for a test drive and I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

The only drawback is the hankook tires that it comes with are flexy garbage. If you get one, get new tires as soon as possible. That way you will be able to enjoy that Lotus designed suspension on the car.

Cmotif <><

I DEFINATLY agree with that!! Even cheap ass General tires make the handling performance 10 times better.

Cmotif
07-15-2003, 09:32 AM
I was lucky. I took my 14 wheels and stock Hankook tires to Les Schwab tire center here in Portland, Or, and they gave me 120 dollars trade in for them on a brand new set of American Racing Wheels 15 x 7 and Falken Ziex ZE 326 205/50 R 15s. Those tires are nice and wide, and completely transformed the handling of the car.

For those that don't know, I want to tell about www.kia-fx.com there are performance parts like intakes, headers, underdrive pulleys, bodies kits, strut bars, sway bars, springs, coil overs and brake upgrades available for our cars.

C

brandy_v85
10-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I will say that Kias are cheap......they're foreign cars. What do you expect? Honda and Nissan, and all of these other foreign industries had to be in the business for years before perfecting some of their less attractive flaws in the cars. I'm the owner of a 2003 pewter grey Spectra GSX and let me tell you, I wouldn't trade it for a Honda or Nissan. By far, I would rather have my car. I got the windows tinted a smoke grey soon after I bought it, and it goes well with the car's color. I plan on getting wheels and new tires put on. I know those tires that come on them aren't great, so I plan on getting those changed sometime. I've not had any trouble out of mine at all. Most people that put them down are people that have never driven one. I'm not backing up the Sephia. I've never owned or driven one. I'm sure different models of Kias are of different quality, so I'm just speaking for my car. But hey, don't judge a book by its cover. Give the corporation a few years to perfect themselves. If you don't like them, don't buy them and shut up about it. :)

Add your comment to this topic!