Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Buick Lesabre

dgogley
05-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi, I previously posted a engine/skip question. I have noticed that several people have posted questions about a miss/jump/buck at around 2000 rpms in overdrive/4th and stating the spark on the 4th cylinder was low during that time. Have any of you ever found a resolution to the problem? :banghead: I am about to take a 1200 mile round trip in this car and was wondering if its something I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance!

jerzy
05-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Assuming your plugs and wires are good......

I recently experienced some similar problems with a somewhat consistent miss under load mid-RPM's.

Eventually it got worse and was basically a dead cylinder. I pulled a spark wire off the coils one ata a time and detrmined it to be a bad coil module (This 3.8 has 3-2 cylinder coil packs).

They go bad all the time but are difficult to diagnose when it is only intermittent. (Several mechanics could not figure it out previously...)

You may want to get a used one and just swap and test, etc. to try and eliminate this as a possible cause.

If it is very consitently at 2000 RPM you could just pull a wire and drive (one at a time)....if the miss continues try another wire....if and when the miss does not occur...you will know which cylinder it is.

If you relly want to be sure....swap the coil pack's position with another and re-test.....I would bet you'll find the answer here.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!