Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How much oil, really?

iusa1
05-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I have a 97 PA supercharged. When I remember I ask that only 4.5 quarts of oil be placed in the engine. Retail oil change places seem to have 5 quarts as the amount required in their databases. Can a few of you with this type of engine give your comments on this subject? When I have 5 quarts in the engine I see a (very) small amount of smoke coming from the engine compartment during a rapid deceleration (55+ mph to a stop light) and I have some small oil drips when I park the car. I saw a PA on ebay that had a huge message written with a black majic marker on the engine cover that read "4.5 quarts!!!!".

tman
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
It's supposed to be 4 and a quarter quarts, but mine always takes 4.5-5. All 3800's seem to take different amounts of oil.

iusa1
05-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks.

Why do most oil change places put in 5 quarts? They get it right for my Taurus? The guy showed me 5.0 quarts on the screen of the stores (Wal-Mart) computer.

Thanks again.

Flatrater
05-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Its 4.5 quarts has been this way since the 3.8L came out. The newer ones can take 5 quarts since they have a deeper pan. Just trust your dipstick, if its low the dipstick will show low.

I think they show 5 quarts for the same reason that our bill given to the customer shows 5 quarts. The oil is sold in quarts and not half quarts. We can't bill out a half a quart.

Add your comment to this topic!