Dome light short

FletchTrick
05-05-2004, 01:04 AM
O.K. dudes, I could use a little help here. And I do appologize for posting another thread. Anywho, I have a 1990 1.8 liter Eclipse. It died on me a couple month's ago. (Bad ECM). There is a short in the dome light. My question is does anyone know if that short would prevent the ECM from doing it's thing? Like, turn on the fuel pump, send pulses to the injectors, START MY CAR? I really appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, I can't get any communication with the ECM either.

EclipseRST
05-05-2004, 01:07 AM
no it would not... all it will do is blow a fuse!

FletchTrick
05-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Tha's not what I was hoping to hear. I have checked every fuse like 30 times and none are blown or melted. The number 11 fuse for the dome light is the only one that made the test light go out when I pulled it. Any ideas on what else could be the problem? This chickie need her car. Thanks

EclipseRST
05-05-2004, 01:25 AM
how do you know there is a short in the dome light then? the fuse in my car is under the hood... little yellow plastic piece that holds 2 fuses, radio and dome lights

JoeWagon
05-05-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm a bit confused. What do you mean "made the test light go out when you pulled it"

on a side note, have you gone through normal no start diagnostics?

FletchTrick
05-05-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm assuming the "little" book that doesn't tell you how to do anything is correct when it says that the fuse I pulled out (#11) is for the dome light. I disconnected the negative battery cable and hooked up a test light to it. The light comes on indicating there is a short somewhere. Right? When I pulled that fuse out, the test light went out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am deffinately NOT mechanically inclined. I have done so many tests on the damn thing that I don't know what is what anymore. If you mean have I checked for like voltage to the fuel pump, codes from the ECM, continuity to this and that, I have. Three mechanics have looked at it and one said I needed a new ECM. I already have a new one. Do I need to like reboot it or something? I'm stumped.

JoeWagon
05-05-2004, 02:12 AM
The only way to clear ECU ROM is to disconnect the negative for a while, maybe 20 minutes.

I have no idea how to test an ECU. I assume your mechanics are adept, so doing tests like spark voltage, injector voltage, compression... are probably already done. Got me.

FletchTrick
05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
It has been disconnected for more than a week at a time. The mechanics have tried to get readings and so have I (via a voltmeter). The mechanics scanner gets as far as "no communication with ECM, is the key on?" so I thought maybe it was the ignition switch but I don't know how to test it. If anyone out there knows, send it my way...please. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!