Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 a good year?

csm85c93
05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking about buying on. It has 96XXX miles, every option. Anything special I should check for? I have a 93 caprice and I love it, but gas and my mileage is getting up there. Also if someone could lead me to what year is the best for options and perfomance in there opinions, would be much appreciated. Thanks

lakerfan1784
05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
What model is it? I am assuming either SSE or SSEi. For performance purposes, the SSEi is best, but, you have to keep up on the maintenance of the supercharger. With the 3800 non-supercharged you have to look out for coolant entering the intake, the EGR valve casing melts the plastic intake manifold and coolant enters through the intake. Just see if you can get a record of maintenance, that will definitely help

CarSuperfreak
05-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Another thing to watch out for on any 3800-series motor is the transmission. this is where being able to judge the previous driver would be a major asset. The engine will run as long as you want it to, and longer, if you take care of it. the transmission will give you far more problems than the engine, so see if you can tell if youre buying from grandma or mario andretti......

Add your comment to this topic!