Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Questions

dred98
05-04-2004, 05:32 PM
I just got my '98 back from the dealer who says I need a new compressor, orifice and receiver/dryer assembly to fix the air conditioner.
They told me there's bits of metal from the compressor plugging up the system.
He wants megabucks to fix it, and I can't afford it right now and wondered if I'd do any harm to anything if I waited a few months to get it done.
Should I pull a fuse? I checked the owners manual and there's quite a few fuses for the A/C system, but I want the fan and the heater to keep working.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Marc_Aurora_2001
05-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Check to see if the compressor is operating when you turn on the system. If there is an obstruction like what you're describing, the
compressor won't run. If it does, then disconnect the wire at the
compressor clutch.
The only thing in an A/C system that can be ruined by lack of use
is the compressor itself, and since yours already has to be replaced,
you don't have to worry about it.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!

dred98
05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I took the car in because there was no cold air - the dealer says the compressor has "imploded" which is why there are bits of metal in the system.
I've only had the car 6 months - and in Canada that means I haven't used the a/c very much - and considering this is the 4th car I've bought from the same place and they won't give me a break on fixing the a/c I'll be looking for a new Olds dealer - at least there's plenty to choose from.
Thanks for the reply - I'll probably get the repairs done in a couple of months.

Slade901
05-06-2004, 09:35 AM
What kind of problem are you having with the compressor?
No cold air?
Grinding noise in the compressor?

If the compressor is really bad and if you have a spare time and second car, you can fix and replace the compressor, dryer, orifice tube, etc., by yourself. Of course you need R-134a guage, cooling flush kit, vacuum pump, the price for those tools and the replacement parts is cheaper when you have your A/C serviced by an automotive repair shop. Typical charge range around $1000 or more.

I've done it myself, at first it was scary but as I did it slowly, I was gaining progress. Took me the whole weekend though since I was reading and checking the instructions and procedure.

dred98
05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Sounds like fun! Like I said in another thread - I don't even change my own oil, so I think I'll wait until I can afford to get a dealer to do it. I'd rather pay the money and get it done right than trust someone like me to do it. At least I'll get a 12 month warranty that way.

Add your comment to this topic!