Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Top 5 Hot Upgrades

Harty
05-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I felt bad for the guy who wanted to know what upgrades he could do to his Denali and no one replied.

I purchased an '03 denali and did some upgrading just to make it a little different and personalize it. Nothing gaudy, things that look good and clean and classy.
I didn''t want to spend an awful lot, and did the installs myself.

Here's what I did.

1. Replaced roof rack with Chrome roof rack from Escalade. Bought at Caddilac dealership and installed my self. It only took about 25 minutes
- cost about $300.00

2. Replaced the steering wheel with a wood trimmed OEM steering wheel
- cost about $325.00

3. Replaced the subwoofer in the center console with a diamond audio 8" sub, sound deadening material, and a small amp that can be hid in the rear storage area by the 3rd row seat. I didn't want to revamp the entire system, but it needed a little more kick
- cost about $405.00

4. Replaced exhaust with Gibson exhaust with dual slashed tips that come out on stock side ( passenger rear)
- cost about $375.00

5. Replaced wheels with 22" Gianelle 6 oval... took a while for me to found something that I liked, because of the cost issue.

6. Lowering kit that drops front 2" and rear 3". Looks good, not to much.
- cost about $400.00

7. Removed rear emblems and found cover plate for hitch that matches body moldings. And had front windows lightly tinted with strip on winshield that comes down to rear view mirror to match.

I may put dvd and monitors in, but not sure yet. Kinda costly.

It took me time to find the stuff I wanted, but it was worth it. I wanted it to look different and good, but didn't want to "ghetto it out". just take your time and do your research. be patient and you'll find what you want.

tonytone
05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Those are some great mods--ever thought about swapping out the liftgate for the Escalade one (along with the rear vent caps)? And while you're at it, you could swap out the rear bumper and the side assist steps... ;-)

Harty
05-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Thought about the vent caps, but why would I want to swap out the rear lift gate... aren't they the same?

denalio34ceo
05-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey Harty,

I would love to see pictures of your ride. The back of the Escalade has an eliptical CHMSL vs. the Tahoe/Yukon small rectangular CHMSL.

Take care,
Ceo

Vroom2
05-05-2004, 11:21 PM
I too would love to see pics. Heck, I'd like to see pics of Ceo's truck too....maybe some day. :)

Would you mind sharing your source for the hitch cover? Also, how difficult was the subwoofer swap? Any problems with the remainder of the Bose system?

Take care,
Jerry

Harty
05-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Sorry about the late response. I'm traveling alot for work, and only can get time to check a couple of times a week. I'll have to remember to get my digital camera from my office. I'll try to get picks up by this weekend.
Jerry - My buddy found the hitchcover, and I just paid him for it. I'll ask him. Because I know that all I found when I was looking, was a hitchcover for an Expedition.
The sub was easy. The diamond audio fits in the stock enclosure and we just ran the amp back the cubby in the back. About 3 hours overall. Not to bad. FYI: Sound deadening material is a must for rattles!
Re: the bose system. You either have to upgrade the entire system or just the sub because of the amplification of the rest of the speakers. So I thought the sub would be the most cost effective, but I still may upgrade the rest. But not for a while.

Sorry CEO but I'm a little of a rookie... what is the CHMSL? Its probably pretty obvious but I'm drawing a blank.
Try to get those picks soon!
-Harty

Harty
05-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Went to look at vent caps yesterday at a Caddy dealership. And, I found some in my Performance Products Magazine. Whats the consensus... The Caddy ones have a small vent in them, the Perf. Products caps are totally smooth.

denalio34ceo
05-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey Harty, Center High Mounted Stop Light/lamp.

Vroom2
05-07-2004, 03:55 PM
I recommend the GM vent caps. No fitment problems and they're marginally more expensive than Stillen or other aftermarket units.

That said, I've seen very few non-Caddy vent caps, so they might give you a more unique look.

Thanks for the info on the sub. Which drop kit did you use? $400 is a great price - I take it you did the install yourself?

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
05-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Harty--sorry, I should have been more specific, if not more accurate as far as the correct part is concerned; I should have said "rear liftgate glass". The Escalade CHMSL (aka third brake light) is different from the Yukon/Denali one (as Denalio34CEO pointed out), with a color-keyed surround. It also fits perfectly with the Escalade OEM rear vent caps; if you put the Escalade vent caps on a Yukon/Denali, you'll find that they don't fit perfectly flush with the liftgate glass surface towards the top--not a big deal but if you're the type where everything has to be flush...

Harty
05-10-2004, 08:30 AM
I purchased both sets of caps (GM and aftermarket) and will just wait until they get here. Then I'll send back the one that doesn't look/fit as good. It is an Eibach suspension kit. My buddy got it for me and installed it for me too.

KRS62
05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I posted a request like this a while ago (looking for some info on the top upgrades to do) maybe it was me? If so, glad to hear that SOMEONE felt bad for me! :)

Anyway, thanks for the post. Since my original post, I have stumbled across a pretty active forum and those guys hooked me up with tons of ideas. WAY too many ideas as a matter of fact. $$$$$ :banghead:

My first mod was a flowmaster muffler and dual exhaust straight back. It sounds great!

Next? I have finally pulled my stereo system out of my old car and will have that installed in my yukon. I have also been searching EBay for a Denali dash bezel (I have a regular Yukon) & plan the Escalade roof racks soon. I really like the look of the Escalade racks vs. the plain jane stock one.

Later on!

KRS

Harty
05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
KRS -
Sounds pretty sweet. What was that forum that you got ideas from?
You may want to check out JPCustoms.com if you can't find a dash bezel. I think their stuff is OEM, but don't quote me on it.
Only thing I have left, is changing the wheels out. I am waiting for my Foose Spank 6 to get in. Can't wait for those! Good luck
Harty

Vroom2
05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
I'll take a guess that KRS is talking about http://www.suvworld.com (http://www.suvworld.com/). Go there...you'll love it!

Not all of JP Customs' stuff is OEM. Most is very good though. I have a number of their parts. eBay is the cheapest place for the dash bezel...

Take care,
Jerry

Thewizard15
05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Besides doing a big stereo and tv's ( i got a 15 in flip down installed by the dealer a week later, in between the front seats on the ceiling, with dvd and vcr installed under 2nd row buckets) , the smooth vents, what other appearance mods are you guys doing? i was looking for a black GMC logo to replace the red on on my denali but i couldnt find them n e where, also you denali guys, have u switched out headlamp bulbs? i already have clear corners and bermuda black tails . just looking for a new mod , rims should be in by friday! thanks

Add your comment to this topic!