Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speaker Hissing, please help

CharlieHoliday53
05-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and i have a question for anyone that knows stuff about car audio. I have a 94 Acura Integra GSR and I recently installed new front and rear speakers. They are Polk Audio 6 1/2" and they usually sound great. But, after I listen to music loudly for about 10-15 minutes, my back right speaker begins to hiss, the problem is only fixed if I turn down the music for 5-10 more minutes, but, sure enough, it comes back with time. I already checked all the connection to the speaker and everything is fine and the speaker isn't blown. The only thing I can think of is that when i installed it, I couldn't get more than 1 screw to fit so that is all that is holding it in. The speaker doesn't seem like it is loose or moves but one of my friends told me that if it isn't completly screwed in that it will do what my speaker does. Can someone please help me?

mjshort18
05-04-2004, 08:23 AM
i don't think that only one screw holding it in will make a difference when it comes to the hissing noise. i would say take the speaker back and get a new one or send it to polk and have them fix it if it is under warrenty. i think it is just a bad speaker, such as something being lose inside somewhere.

Geeko
05-04-2004, 11:56 AM
i agree with mjshort- it is probably a problem with defective equipment. you can make sure it's the speaker by reversing the placement of the two speakers- if the problem stays with the speaker, it's the speaker, if it stays with the location, it's probably either the amp or wiring.

odds are, though, it's the speaker- could be a bad crossover resister, or something like that. Polk has good warrantees, as i remember.

CharlieHoliday53
05-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey guys, I appreciate your input on my problem.....I took it up to a car audio place and let them take a look at it (free thank God) and they agree with you guys 100%. They think the speaker is in the process of being blown and so when the voice coil warms up it starts to buzz and hiss. Sucks for me because now I have to get new speakers. But, what they suggested is that I move the 6 1/2" from the front to the back and get a good component system for the front. Not really sure which one to get, if you guys have had past experiences, good or bad, with componets please let me know. Also, I know the best place to buy them is online, but I am looking for a really good deal on them because being a college student, money is pretty tight. Again, thank for the help, the problem was driving me insane.....

PaulD
05-05-2004, 05:17 PM
I am not a college student ... and money is still pretty tight

Add your comment to this topic!