Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

parking lot smudge

careymd
05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone

I had some shmuck in a parking lot back into the front bumper of my volkswagon. I have a grey smudge that is about 12 inches long by 4 inches high on my bumper. Looks great on a black car! The bumper is not dented. any ideas on how to remove this? I would also settle for an easy way to cover it

4ss4s1n
05-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Smudge.If you put your finger on it.Is it still possible to move the "Smudge" around?

careymd
05-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Smudge.If you put your finger on it.Is it still possible to move the "Smudge" around?

Nope, i cant move the smudge around, it doesnt seem to be down to the metal, so i suspect that i have paint on top of paint. I dont want to try and use touch up paint if i dont have too. any ideas?

bumpinneon
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
have you tryed like car washing wax or soap and water and scrub really hard i did that when i wrecked my brothers car and the paint from the fire hydroant came right off

4ss4s1n
05-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Yea,I would also guess that you have paint on top of paint.I would also recommend to try and scrub hard next time you was your car.If you dont wanna hurt the finish,you can use a small,stiff(PLASTIC)brush.If that works,and I think it will,you can finish it off with a good polish and the ChipStick.That thing is very good for covering up scratches and other paint marks,as I have used it.

Here is a link to the chipstick.Should give you an idea to what it looks like.I imagine you have an autozone you live near. http://tinyurl.com/396dm

careymd
05-04-2004, 06:09 PM
i tried giving it a good scrub, but perhaps i can get a little more aggressive with it. Thanks for your feedback, i will give it a try

careymd
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I was actually looking at that specific polish and chipstick the other day. I will give it a shot this weekend.

rgilbert24
05-06-2004, 09:13 PM
If its just on the surface, have you tried a mild compound such mequires scratch x. Had same problem on my black car a week ago. Nice white line on the bumper. Had to use a somewhat aggressive (heavy) compound which got rid of it but then had to polish it back up using a medium and then a light compound followed by scratch X. Used all mequires professional products in the tan plastic bottles. Looks like new now. Just don't be very aggressive with the heavy compound on bumper paint as it seems to take a lot longer to buff up again compared to regular paint. Personally I would not waste your money on the chapstick. I have not found anything it works on and looks acceptable plus it washes off eventually.

BullShifter
05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Get yourself some rubbing compound

Jeff Soarer
06-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Rub it with Prepsol, that works a treat, takes paint off paint but no damage.

Markgase2000
06-17-2004, 07:00 PM
The old swapping of paint problem huh. Hand polish it with a conditioner or most polish compounds its easy.

95corsy
06-20-2004, 07:55 PM
the paint from the fire hydroant came right off
:icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!