Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Couple of Quick questions on airbrushing

KEFLON
05-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi just recently bought an airbrush and was just wondering when spraying the mist coats shld I clean the airbrush in between coats or shld i clean up after i finished spraying all the mist coats.

And also the airbrush i have is the Badger 155-7 'ANTHEM' if any 1 has experience using this airbrush could you please tell me how to change the thickness of the spray so that i can spray fine lines.

thanks alot

Faisal

pre98zetec
05-03-2004, 12:15 PM
When I Airbrush I clean it after every use, Even if I am going to use it 10 minute's later. I don't know if its necessary, But I still do it. And I never have a problem. I guess it's up to you if you want to clean it.:)

supermod04
05-03-2004, 01:23 PM
i have a really expensive one and i paint a coat, then plug the end hole and wait to do the other coats. then after i am done i do clean up, and i empty the paint, fill it with thinner spray the whole bottle of thinner out and then saok the brush in thinner. but i wiould say that cleaning between coats is not neccasary as long as it is covered and it cant dry up.

Ferrari TR
05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Good choice.
I would clean the brush between coats. By clean, I mean spray some thinner through the brush till it sprays clear. An airbrush can never be too clean.
Your brush is double action. Pressing down on the trigger controls the air, while forward/back motion controls the paint. If your line is too wide with the trigger all the way forward you will need to adjust the needle.
If the handle on your badger has an opening in it you just need to screw the needle in a bit to get a finer line (clockwise). If your brush has a closed handle then you simply unscrew the handle to expose the needle.
Any more Q's feel free to PM me.
:p

jswillmon
05-03-2004, 01:53 PM
i have a really expensive one and i paint a coat, then plug the end hole and wait to do the other coats. then after i am done i do clean up, and i empty the paint, fill it with thinner spray the whole bottle of thinner out and then saok the brush in thinner. but i wiould say that cleaning between coats is not neccasary as long as it is covered and it cant dry up.

Not to be an ass but I hope you've got a better airbrush than the ones you posted about a while back you bought from ebay. That is the farthest from truth, they put 3 to 4 airbrushes in those packs that usually have several single action airbrushes that cost less than $15 a piece. If your talking about the one posted on your website, you need a refund if you paid over $20. Sorry, I did alot of research before buying mine and those are a dime a dozen. I just have to be honnest

You don't have to clean after every use, I recommend cleanig if your changing colors though. To make sure you don't blend them.

freelunch
05-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Hi just recently bought an airbrush and was just wondering when spraying the mist coats shld I clean the airbrush in between coats or shld i clean up after i finished spraying all the mist coats.

And also the airbrush i have is the Badger 155-7 'ANTHEM' if any 1 has experience using this airbrush could you please tell me how to change the thickness of the spray so that i can spray fine lines.

thanks alot

Faisal

I use the Badger 155 Anthem too - very nice double-action airbrush for the money IMO. To adjust the thickness of the spray you pull back on the trigger more or less. More to thicken the spray, while less to narrow the lines.

mike@af
05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
i have a really expensive one.

What kind do you have Bryce?

-----------------------------

For cleaning, well I clean between every coat of the same color (spread about 10minutes apart). I just run a little rubbing alcohol through it if Im using Tamiya paints, let it sit for 5 minutes, start painting again. Then I rip it down between colors, or large time spreads.

jswillmon
05-03-2004, 03:29 PM
What kind do you have Bryce?

this is what i was going by.
http://www.supermod04.netfirms.com/shop.html

Vric
05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
this is what i was going by.
http://www.supermod04.netfirms.com/shop.html

those are quite crap
this is praticly what I had before.. the air brushed died after 4 or 5 models.

I need to get a new one soon, a better one this time

mike@af
05-03-2004, 04:08 PM
those are quite crap
this is praticly what I had before.. the air brushed died after 4 or 5 models.

I need to get a new one soon, a better one this time

Looks like it. I have a Iwata HP-BC, custom. Its prolly worth about $350-$400 USD.

Vric
05-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Looks like it. I have a Iwata HP-BC, custom. Its prolly worth about $350-$400 USD.

it's selling for 99$ on ebay (mutiple items)

mike@af
05-03-2004, 05:11 PM
it's selling for 99$ on ebay (mutiple items)

I know. If you look at the average retail price its $275

supermod04
05-03-2004, 05:49 PM
mine works great. so far not 1 problem. i got it for the price and the warrenty. if nything breaks or goes bad they replace it free. lifetime warrenty. the compressor is great. the airbrushedwork fine, not had 1 problem ever. they are a cheaper brand but ti 100 times better then the 3 plastic testors ones i had. i broke 2 cheapo tetsors plastics ones in a week, so this is a big up for me. i airbrush everything, it is fun to use, and it is fully adjustable, i can spray fine line or a wide fan

KEFLON
05-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the advice i think I clean between coats just to be on the safe side

thanks again

RallyRaider
05-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I know. If you look at the average retail price its $275

Only at rip off merchants. US$105 at Dixieart.

Iwatas are great, everybody should get a Revolution CR, the best value and performance hobby brush IMHO. I just ordered a second, purely for spraying clear! Less that US$60 at Dixieart.

customminatures
05-03-2004, 10:00 PM
i own a anthem along with many other rangeing from 45.00 to 480.00. Doesnt matter which i use the cheapest or most expensive, it is very important to clean thoroughly!!! i cant stree that enough! it is a good airbrush for models! to change the thickness off the spray line u pull the lever back! that is why they call it a dual action! u control the air and spray thickness through 1 lever/button. if you have any more questions about airbrushes or airbrushing technics PM me! that goes for anyone on af!

Add your comment to this topic!