Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

engined governed

albyotto
05-02-2004, 03:43 AM
I have a 1998 Tahoe. the other day I wanted to see how smooth it rode at high speed. I got to 100 and discovered the engine is governed. Does anyone know how to disengage the governor?

GMMerlin
05-02-2004, 06:16 AM
I have a 1998 Tahoe. the other day I wanted to see how smooth it rode at high speed. I got to 100 and discovered the engine is governed. Does anyone know how to disengage the governor?

The "govenor" is a fuel cutoff built into the PCM programmed parameters and cannot be disabled.
Why in the hell would you want to see how well it rode at high speeds?

andjh123
05-03-2004, 12:38 AM
You're crazy bud, I got mine going 90 mph once while passing on a two lane road (down hill, with the wind etc..) and I thought it was going to shake itself apart. Although I hear you can get those computer chips/programmers which disable the governor so you can more effectively pursue your deathwish.

gurrzt
05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
The "govenor" is a fuel cutoff built into the PCM programmed parameters and cannot be disabled.
Why in the hell would you want to see how well it rode at high speeds?

I respectfully disagree with the above statement, what you are reffering to is the "top speed limiter", and it CAN be manipulated with a Hypertech, or Predator.

GMMerlin
05-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I respectfully disagree with the above statement, what you are reffering to is the "top speed limiter", and it CAN be manipulated with a Hypertech, or Predator.

SteveC :)

Read my post again..I said it could not be disabled (as far as I know) didn't say anything about it being changed.
Besides that, someone like the original poster doesn't need that info (IMHO) That is a high speed wreck waiting to happen...just hope its not on a highway that I or my family has to drive on.
If you want to see how fast your vehicle can go, spend the money and go to a sanctioned race track...

gurrzt
05-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Read my post again..I said it could not be disabled (as far as I know) didn't say anything about it being changed.
Besides that, someone like the original poster doesn't need that info (IMHO) That is a high speed wreck waiting to happen...just hope its not on a highway that I or my family has to drive on.
If you want to see how fast your vehicle can go, spend the money and go to a sanctioned race track...

Yes I read your post, " someone like the original poster doesn't need that info ", and your a ASE certified mechanic?, I would think that you would want to disclose all information.

Let's say (for the sake of the argument) that I set the TSL to 200 MPH, isn't that the same as disableing it?

Anyway, I agree with your other analogy, if you want to see how fast your vehicle can go, take it to the track. I would love to see a Tahoe at the tree, wonder if it could run a 7 sec 1/8 mile (LOL)

kaskillah
05-04-2004, 07:39 PM
I don't think that I have a governor on my Tahoe since I have gotten mine over a 100MPH. It may be though that mine was owned by the US Govt. previously and it's possible that these may have a different engine control systems on them. Anyways, mine rode just as nice at that speed as it does at 65MPH.

albyotto
05-06-2004, 02:20 AM
geez you guys lighten up. which one of you out there hasn't taken your vehicle out just once to see how fast it would go? maybe when you were 18, 23 or even 30 years old. if you say you have NEVER done that, i simply don't believe you. my problem with the "govenor" is the same problem i have with the DRL. i don't like the idea that i don't have the choice to turn them off or go 100 mph if i need to. admittly it would be an extreme circumstance and one that will probably never present itself, but what if. shouldn't i be able to determine how fast my vehicle can go? or whether or not my lights are on? :evillol:

Stayned
07-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey guys, i have a 2000 tahoe and the other day i took a road trip down to LA and on the 210 in LA if you are from around there, its wide open, 4 lanes and not very packed once your getting outta LA. anyways, i was doing over 100mph and didn't have any kind of governing problems, i got it up to 112 before I myself started to slow down cause i felt i didn't need to go any faster, but just for any of you who are wondering, it rides just as smoothly at 112 as it does at 75 or even 65 for that matter. If it does have a govoner its probably at 115, cause i also have a 97 Trans Am and is the same as z28 camaors and they are goverened at 115. Although chevy trucks after the mid 90's have a govoner at 97. but like the one guy said its not a govoner persay its a fuel cutoff. hope this could help some of you guys.

radioman2002
07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
As far as I know, all passenger cars made by GM have a fuelcutoff at about 100-106 MPH. ALL Police or Government vehicles do not, theirs is set for about 130mph. Chech the Michigan State Police time trial for PD cars, its listed there.

bartlanz
07-27-2004, 11:40 PM
I was talking to a Chief in NY the other day when I was down there, and he said he has had his (dept supplied) 99 Tahoe up to 115MPH :eek2: . He also mentioned that he (or the dept he didn't say) had his chipped and with a performance exhaust and intake as well as tires that can take it.

I know that I have had mine up to 95+ :screwy: and I have to say that the ride is very smooth; I don't know why you guys think it shakes. I am also sure that having good tires and good shocks makes a big diff here I am probably going to participate in the GP for westers and will have him remove or raise the speed limiter and I personally wonít go too much faster than that b/c of my tires, if I go much faster ill start throwing treat.

As for your discussion about speeding. You should know the risks; almost any accident much over the speed of 40 will most likely be fatal regardless of the size of your car or truck. This results in two mind sets. Keep it slower to lower your chances of dieing, or go faster to make it painless. This sounds gross and sick but itís the truth. Personally I would prefer that the world go slower to prevent the accident in the first place, also a 60+ accident could be ďmessyĒ http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/puke.gif and they are no fun. Bent metal can be cool to look at but if some one died in it, or is trapped in it, it looses its entertainment value extremely quickly.

Donít take this as me flaming any one, itís just my :2cents:
Speed Safely.

Accord_boy619
07-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Im in the AirForce and our Truck dont go past 97MPH on GM's and 95 on the Fords. But our work trucks ride smooth @ top speed.(runway tested)

Stayned
07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Well guys, i finally found out where the cutoff is exactly at, as before I said I have a 200 Tahoe Limited SS, yes they do make them, cause I own one, and no badges were added, its the way it came from the factory. anyways, the top speed on mine is 113MPH, right in the middle between 112 and 113 actually, apparently last time i went on that road trip i just slowed down right before it hit the fuel cut-off point, but just to clear things up, its right at 113mph. hope this could help...oh, and the government tahoes, they don't cutoff at 130mph. I am in the military, and i was talking to one of the NCIS guys the other day and he said they have had them over 130, but he wouldn't tell me how fast it would go. bastard, even though i have a security clearence just like him, he wouldn't tell me, the nerve of some people!! hehe j/k

Shortbus
07-30-2004, 02:30 PM
I cant see any Tahoe going 130 period. 113 is the fastest I've ever had my silverado and I don't think it had much more in it even with the mods I have.

TA2000LE
09-21-2004, 02:07 PM
As far as the shaking goes...

my 2000 tahoe limited, I've done about 100 and its smooth as 65.

However, my 95' suburb shakes like hell anytime you go over 75.

Guess they must have made some handling mods...

silveradoman
09-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Remember, your trucks may go 130, but ask Firestone if you want to do that, the tires are the most prone to failure! I do not care if they are Michelins, Brigestones or Daytonas (really really crappy tires) your tires will fail at those speeds if you hit even a small stone on the road, just drive safe, go to the track, worse than killing yourself is having an accident and survive just to find out you killed some little kid on a safety seat.

kaskillah
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
I cant see any Tahoe going 130 period. 113 is the fastest I've ever had my silverado and I don't think it had much more in it even with the mods I have.

Something's not right with your photo. Its showing around 113 mph but the rpms are barely over 3000. They don't add up. :shakehead

rgloston
12-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Have a 2002 GMC Yukon SLE (Bi-Fuel 323ci). I noticed GMC & Chevy differ slightly. My speedo only displays up to 100mph. The "cutoff" some refer to is the Top Speed Limiter, and yes, it can be raised with a Hypertech Power Programmer III based on the "rated tires" you tell the programmer. I know an Autozone rep that has an SLT Yukon, and he has driven his Yukon up to 116mph. He stated that he (nor myself) would care to push up to 130mph. Besides, unless you're on the Audobahn, where can you push a vehicle to that speed on a public street for a satisfactory amount of time (more than 2 seconds)? That's just wild & crazy. I would agree with the other guys... stick to the track!

-R.G. (Baton Rouge, LA)
2002 Yukon SLE - 5.3L Flex (K&N)
1986 Chevy Silverado (SWB - Black) - 262ci 4.3L V6 (My Precious Possesion)

vics2000limited
08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
im looking for my 2000 tahoe limited oem door badges can somebody help me

jonnik
08-21-2010, 06:16 AM
I agree with GMMERLIN, why would anybody want to take a vehicle with all the areodynamics of a shoebox to 100+ MPH?

tblake
08-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Hopy smakes guy's, this thread is from 2004.

Vics2000limited, try this website yet?

http://www.compnine.com/index.php

It may help with a part number.

corsair-pilot
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi.

Fuel cutoff is set by oem for the speed rating of the OEM installed tires.

Add your comment to this topic!