Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My 3500 Ram Pickup won't come out of Reverse!

Nathaniel_N
04-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I"m new here. I need help with my 3500 ram. It won't come out of Reverse, The shifter moves back and forth as it its in neutral. But it won't engage into any gears at all. But when I start it up and let off the clutch it starts to reverse. I can't seem to get it out of reverse. I need help. Anyone got any ideas?

slantsixness
04-30-2004, 04:46 PM
shifter linkage broke somewhere and the reverse rod's still engaged.

Take it apart!

Slantsixness

Nathaniel_N
04-30-2004, 04:56 PM
shifter linkage broke somewhere and the reverse rod's still engaged.

Take it apart!

Slantsixness

Thanks,

I"ll try taking it apart..

pind
04-30-2004, 10:15 PM
the reverse gear shift fork is broken, or the spring pin that holds it in place on the shaft came out. those are the possibilities. good luck.

mxeng
06-21-2004, 01:05 PM
I had a similar problem with my mazda miata (I know--lots different) and found out it was a fairly common thing AND found a fix that didn't require a lot of work. What happens is that if you jerk it out of 5th really fast while sitting still, the rod that moves the shift fork for 5th and reverse has enough speed and inertia to keep moving it past the detent after you've moved the shifter over in neutral. The short-term fix for that tranny was to unscrew the reverse light switch which operates off the 5th/reverse shaft, and reach in with a screwdriver and pop the shaft back in to neutral. The long-term fix involved stiffer detent springs.

for a clearer explanation go to miata.net and search for reverse.

Your trans may be a totally different design, but I doubt it.

Add your comment to this topic!