Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trouble starting

szg3vr
04-30-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm going crazy! 98 Rodeo, Manual, 4x4, V6 is having trouble starting intermittently. When I turn the ignition, I get nothing. If I keep trying, it eventually starts. When it starts, it seems normal. I've cleaned the battery connection. I've changed both the starter and ignition switch. I've tried disconnecting the clutch safety switch. But it still happens intermittently. I think it might be a bad ground or short but I haven't found anything. Does anyone have any other ideas?

amigo-2k
04-30-2004, 03:09 PM
I would check your body ground points and recheck that you battery conections are tight.

szg3vr
04-30-2004, 03:13 PM
I found one on the frame right below the battery. I removed it and looked at it and it looked fine, so I screwed it back on. The one on the Alternator bracket looked OK too. Are there any others? I thought about putting another ground directly from the negative battery post to the starter body. Any suggestions?

leroydawg
07-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm wondering if you have the same problems I do. When you turn the key, absolutely nothing happens....no click, no turn over, nothing. Then if you leave it for a while, maybe pop the hood to let it cool off, or play a game of chess or something, then it will start up as if nothing happened. Help!!!

szg3vr
07-26-2004, 07:31 AM
I'm wondering if you have the same problems I do. When you turn the key, absolutely nothing happens....no click, no turn over, nothing. Then if you leave it for a while, maybe pop the hood to let it cool off, or play a game of chess or something, then it will start up as if nothing happened. Help!!!

If you have a manual tranny, we probably have the same problem. Here is what I did to fix it and I haven't had the starting problem ever again since. There are two switches on the clutch. The first switch is lower on the arm and is for the cruise control circuit. Don't mess with that one. There is another switch higher up on the clutch arm that prevents the car from starting unless the clutch is depressed. I disconnected that switch, removed the electrical terminals from there housing and tape them together to permanently close the circuit. If I ever get inclined to replace the switch, I can because I saved the housing by just clicking it back into the switch without the wires. The car has started everytime since I removed this switch from the circuit. The only warning I should make you aware of is that your car's clutch must be depressed or in neutral before you start your car, or it will lunge forward. This is nothing new if you've ever owned an older car with a manual tranny. You may want to just replace the switch. If you do, you might want to buy two or three of them. Good Luck!

leroydawg
07-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your help. I actually got the problem to manifest itself right outside of the mechanic shop, and they came out and plugged a wire back in that had gotten loose in the circuit board. Fired right up.

Add your comment to this topic!