Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BMF question

BRM
04-30-2004, 01:57 PM
On small items like dash board dials and sterring wheel arms I am finding that the edge of the BMF wants to lift. Is there something I can do so that when I trim the excess it won't lift? Can I use some thin glue?

Thanks

pre98zetec
04-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Put a little bit of model glue on it.. Where you can't see it. There is also some stuff I've seen it, It's called "bare metal foil glue" or something.. It's specially designed glue for BMF.

BRM
04-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Put a little bit of model glue on it.. Where you can't see it. There is also some stuff I've seen it, It's called "bare metal foil glue" or something.. It's specially designed glue for BMF.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I may try some thinned white glue and model glue on a few test pieces ...I'll see what happens.

RallyRaider
04-30-2004, 05:56 PM
White glue would be the best bet, polystyrene glue could damage the surface. Microscale make a glue specifically for metal foil, but I think is just basically PVA.

MPWR
04-30-2004, 07:26 PM
The adhesive on BMF is certainly not particularly strong- this is certainly at times both blessing and curse. I've tried a number of things to supplement its sticking power, among them white glue and CA glue. When it's all cut to shape and burnished down, I've found that applying a bit of thinned Tamiya clear applied to the edges tends to keep it down- but I haven't really found anything to make it easier to work. I've found that I can do large and meduim dial bezels (but not small ones, to my great frustration!!), and steering wheel arms can be done only with heavy application of copious patience. Generally, I find I am not so patient, and airbrush steering wheels. At times it's easier to mess with masking and painting than to persuade BMF to go where it doesn't want to. Haven't tried it, but I hear Alclad gives decent results....

BRM
04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah Alcad would be good if I had an airbrush. But applying the clear sounds like a good bet. I'll do a few tests with different methods and see how they turn out. Oh thanks...BEZELS was the word I was looking for.

Cheers

Add your comment to this topic!