Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sealed or ported?

jdrumstik
04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Okay, some of you have been very kind and tolerable of my idiocy, but now im a little more educated, just a little. Im trying to score a sub, my dads not to crazy about the idea of having a sub in my car, so all of the sudden its not called a sub any more its called a "low range speaker" its all about marketing

anyways, Im looking at a 2 channel Kenwood, I know its not the best amplifier brand but hell, its eaby and its $50. it puts out a claimed

100W X 2 at 4 ohms
300W X 1 at 4 ohms

I listen to rock, punk, indie, and no rap, unless the ocasional rage song classifies.

so what would be best, I'm looking at a 10inch for the pure thoght of space, but im open to 12's, so what the basic diffrence between ported and sealed? Im building my own custom box. so let me know what yall think.

so what would be better, a 10 or 12 inch, and what do I want sealed or ported? I guess ported is harder to build but sounds better????

oh and I will be building my own box.

sr20de4evr
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
ported
more efficient
better low end
can have a much flatter response than sealed, if you tune low

sealed
easier to build
better transient response in most cases
doesn't sound as "boomy" (this really depends on the specific ported box, but I'm just talking in general here)
doesn't need a subsonic filter like a ported box does

jdrumstik
04-30-2004, 06:06 PM
okay tell me what is a subsonic filter?, and what is the "boom" like, like is that a reverb sound that you don't want?

what is the transient response

and is "tunning" have to do with the amplifier?

burly
04-30-2004, 06:31 PM
A subsonic filter filters out sound below ~18-20Hz to avoid damaging the sub. The "boom" like a effect sounds ... well like "boomy" bass. Inside of nice tight quick bass, some of it becomes muddy and at high volume it sounds boomy. Its hard to describe but you'd recognize it right away.

Transient response is how fast the subwoofer can react to input. If the transient response is too low, the subwoofer cannot react fast enough to the signal and therefore the bass becomes distorted or muddy.

Tuning has to do with the port itself on a ported box. By changing the diameter and length of the port itself you change the frequency to which the port is most efficient at.

jdrumstik
04-30-2004, 06:58 PM
I think im going to go with a 10 inch enclosed in a sealed box in the 250 to 300 watt range running 4 ohms to keep thing from breaking.

I listen to a lot of punk rock and on my home system the bass is really bad sounding fromt he heavy bass lines, consequently the box is ported. so Im going to go with a sealed, I only like the subs for the bass solos and the kick drum kicks, but agian all in indie and punk.

thanks for helping so much!!!

sr20de4evr
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
I would go with a 12 personally, single sealed 10's, no matter what the 10, never have enough output IMO.

Haibane
05-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Not to go against sr20de4ver, but there are plenty of single sealed 10"s that I find can have plenty of output, but a 12 is a good idea,
Kv2
"pricing on these will be similar to what the K's have always been.

10 - 125
12 - 135
15 - 155

Although the biggest thing that I think get people on these. We will be having a pre order on these very similar to the ones of old. Anyone who has stuck around with us this long. pre order is going to be a very good price.

10 - 80
12 - 90
15 - 100"
-Ben

I might be able to sneak you in on the pre-order, since he generally sends a link to the pre-order to me.

jdrumstik
05-01-2004, 12:22 PM
no offense, but I prefer to trade through stores or ebay, but thanks for offering it to me!

Im looking at a sealed 12, but I might do two sealed 12s, or like 4 10's, I don't really know, Im looking into it, I bought some books off of amazon. Im ttaly going to make this myself I might make something really advanced and complicated. WHo knows!

jdrumstik
05-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I want two tens, should I put them both in one enclosure? I think I want two tens tuned low in a ported, like 25, at the highest, although I don't know how to do that, I'd like to make a 4th order bandpass but I'd jack that up.

so what should I look for, like 200watts X 2 at 2 ohms or more, and then a pair of 10's I'd like infinities for eletistsness, Im also looking into image dynamics. Thanks a lot, more suggestions, Im getting excited.

Haibane
05-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I want two tens, should I put them both in one enclosure? I think I want two tens tuned low in a ported, like 25, at the highest, although I don't know how to do that, I'd like to make a 4th order bandpass but I'd jack that up.

so what should I look for, like 200watts X 2 at 2 ohms or more, and then a pair of 10's I'd like infinities for eletistsness, Im also looking into image dynamics. Thanks a lot, more suggestions, Im getting excited.

If I were to get you the preorder it would be through their store and I would just im you the link when I get it. I would suggest doing one 10 if you are looking for clarity, 2 10"s will get louder, but I would not suggest trying to feed 2 10"s on such low power unless it is like alpine power for a single sub, 100 watts is all you need with an alpine amp per sub. I would lean towards IDmax, not towards infinity. eliteness, btw. By eliteness do you mean sound quality?

sr20de4evr
05-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Not to go against sr20de4ver, but there are plenty of single sealed 10"s that I find can have plenty of output, but a 12 is a good idea,

Yeah they can have some good output for a 10. But I've just never found one that can satisfy me when sealed. I mean even my sealed 12A on 800+ watts didn't satisfy me, haha

jdrumstik - that preorder that Haibane posted would be through Elemental Designs, not through him. He just copied Ben's (the owner of eD) post.

jdrumstik
05-03-2004, 11:13 AM
So I might have this wrong but you are suggesting that your subs only need like 100 watts? Im going to get two, so what would you recomend, 2 12's or 2 10's, and would you recomend 1 12 over 2 10s?

also, Im thinking of moving back into ported just cause I have to relize that Im looking for qaulity on a cheap price so, I will deal with ported.

by all infinities, I mean that its a great company and it would be kind of cool to have all matching speakers since all my 6.5s are infinites, but it doesn't really matter.

okay so whats you website. and I'll tell you now, this is all on my dads budget (he won't even let me pay). So I can tell you I can't go ver $150 at this time, thats not including the amp.

Haibane
05-03-2004, 08:44 PM
ok, i will give you the link when the preorder starts which is soon. I am saying any subw will work on whatever you feed it under the RMS. I had 100 watts to it and it sounded extremely nice.

jdrumstik
05-04-2004, 10:21 AM
sweet. You should be able to look up my email under my user cp, Not that is private, but I don't want some spammer dude to take advantage of easyness.

Haibane
05-04-2004, 05:02 PM
http://www.edesignaudio.com/miva/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KSD

Add your comment to this topic!