Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Trooper Timing Issue

hscc
04-30-2004, 06:26 AM
:banghead:

Hello everyone I'm a newbie; I have just finished a complete engine swap out on my 220,000 mile 1989 Trooper 2.6 four cyl. I replaced the engine with a 1991 year model with 50K on it. I had to change a couple of things and was having some issues and was wondering if anyone could help me. The wiring harness was a little different and the fuel injectors had different connectors so I swapped all of the different parts and everything seams fine. The major problem I am having is with the timing.

The new motor I received did not come with a distributor so I had to use my old one. I set the distributor timing based on the instructions in the Chilton’s manual and the truck runs but has no pulling power. What is the weird thing is when I shoot for the timing mark it is nowhere near the timing mark on the harmonic balancer cover plate TDC, it is on the bottom 180 degrees out and not on the top where it should be. What's even more bazaar is the engine runs! I tried to fine TDC on the compression stroke and the marks never line up on TDC for the #1 piston. When I rotated the engine for TDC on #1 compression the mark is on the bottom, as I rotate the engine toward TDC the #1 piston starts its downward stroke. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Thanks for any help!

mastoras
11-28-2004, 12:01 PM
you must set the 1st cylinder to tdc, the camshaft to overlap in the 4th cylinder and the distributer to point the spark in the 1st cylinder. sorry for my english

valkyriemc
01-15-2005, 02:32 AM
I am struggling with the same type problem now. Have a 90 with 308 K on it. Replacing water pump found loose crank bolt(2nd time, once 100 k ago). Harmonic balancer is bad bought new one, woodruff key bad replacing same. Since it was apart I deceide to check belt for wear while waiting on balancer. I have replaced timing belt 3 times in the past. The timing is as u described. Blows my mind. When no1 is TDC dist point to no four, turn crank 360, dist points to one now but cam shaft is exactly 180 out. Car ran fine prior to pull apart. Timing didnt jump. Belt still tight. Bad weather in NE Fla lately, waitng for warm up to start working on it again. One clue: Cracked head 25 K ago, somebody else did work, got diff head and other parts(cam and gear?) I was out of town. I just cant believe what I see. Everthing always lined up perfect before... Stay intouch.

Add your comment to this topic!