Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stuck in first gear

mtmetzger
04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Guys, I just replaced an engine in my 95 Corolla base. I re-used my original automatic tranny, computer, etc. After I put everything in the car, I changed the transmission filter and added about 3 qts of fluid. It holds a total of like 5.6 qts, but I didnt measure how much came out, and the dipstick is not acurate until the tranny is warm, so I let it idle for a while, then I shut it off and checked the level. it was low, so I added another qt to it. Startered it up, shifted from Park to L and back up a few times. Then I took it for a spin for about 10 minutes. The tranns was shifting fine, but I could hear something hydraulic in the transmission engaging at idle. I figured it was just because it was low on fluid. Came back, the tranny was warm, so i checked the level again. It was still low, so I added another qt for a total of 5 qts plus whatever didnt drain from the tranny. Took it for another spin and it shifted fine until I got warm again, then it would not shift out of first gear and the transmission jerks when you put it in gear. I checked the fluid level and it is right on the full mark of the hot section when the tranny is warm. Any ideas from anyone? The tranns was perfect before the engine swap.

nhiaxeng
05-22-2004, 12:22 PM
may be that the egine and or transmission mounts were damaged during the swap, check those and replace as necessary

Phreddo
07-29-2004, 07:28 AM
how hard is that?

Add your comment to this topic!