Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Good Road Racer

96berettakid
04-28-2004, 05:36 PM
What do you guys think would be the best car to get for a reasonable price (Under 10 grand) that would be good for road racing?

freakonaleash1187
04-28-2004, 08:01 PM
like i have suggested in a lot of other posts is a nissan 300zx. if i am thinking right about what you mean in road racing, the 300zx is great in the corners. plus, it just looks so awesome.

MR2Driver
04-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Good for road racing? In most road racing applications, the MR layout is ideal. The only two midships under your price range would be the Fiero and the MR2. In a stock for stock comparison the MR2 outclasses the Fiero. But one might argue that my POV is biased. So I'll give you another...

The Mazda miata, reliable and handles as well as you can drive. A truely amazing inaffordible road racer.

BUT, when picking a road racing car, you must consider a few things, and since cost is your primary concern, you must consider an inexpensive road racer. So I also recommend an MKI MR2 SC. You can find them for under a grand, and they are an excellent tuning platform. And should you crash it, you havent lost a completely sizable investment.

I say use the MKI as your training wheels then when you get good upgrade to the Miata. Then from there you could consider a more powerful sports car to eventually upgrade to (I.E. The RX-7 FD)

Demon_Mustang
04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I don't know, it's all up to your preference. In the used car market you can get plenty for under 10k that will be quick and easy to modify. If you want a high-winding front driver, there are plenty of those, if you want a beefy V8, there are plenty of those.

Me personally, I can only speak for my car, a 1992 Ford Mustang GT. 5.0L V8, power to the rear wheels, my engine runs good, my transmission runs good, and even at 12 years old and counting, I'm smoking hooked up Civics, Talons, Audi TTs, RX7's, Integra's, and the list goes on, but I pick my races carefully, I played around and raced this chick in a Z28 Camaro, knew I was gonna get smoked, but she was cute, and didn't mind giving her a win. Either way, it sounded great, the combination of both our V8's screaming off the traffic light, man. :iceslolan

I believe it was an MR2, or one of those small cars with the engine in the back, really hooked up, either heard a turbocharger, or him spraying nitrous, but he smoked my ass, and I am not ashamed to admit it, it was fast, but then again, he probably spent tons of money to get it there.

The total cost of my car, with all the add-ons, is $3,800 :rofl:

I think it's kind of hard to beat that when it comes to value. When I actually have the money to buy myself a nice Volvo or something for a family, I want to supe this car up to be my weekend warrior. Planning on ordering a crate engine or something from Ford Racing, something nice that is also a 302cid V8 so my 5.0 badges won't be lying. :) Supercharge it, get it to around 400-450 horses, I'll be happy. I also plan on doing what I can to keep the external looking stock, so when someone pulls up next to me at a stoplight, they won't really suspect that I have over 400 horses, but they'll find out really quick. :iceslolan

Most likely, I'll end up with a Cowl intake hood, to the untrained eye, they won't really notice the difference right away, and I'll keep my exhausts which are aftermarket and high-flow, but they are cut at an angle at the tip which is tucked in under the bumper, so from the outside it looks like the stock exhaust pipes.

Um, anyway, enough about me... um, yah, I got sidetracked a little. :rofl:

LacrosseGuy
04-28-2004, 11:32 PM
a lil?

LacrosseGuy
04-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Beretta, if i were you id go to the racing section and click on street racing. Than do a search for "$10000" or "Used Tunner" something of that sort. Do a little research. Most of the people on this forum have already answered that question 1000x and you know what they always have the same answer. So there is no point to reasking a played out question just dont be so lazy and do alittle research. Otherwise everyones just gonna say the same car they always do.
Heres some questions that you can ask youreslf though:
RWD or FWD or AWD!?
Handling or Speed?
and by road race do you mean from this stop light to that one, or from my house to your see who wins?

If you want an all around car Integra GSR, great handling, ok speed, good looks, affordable. HUGE aftermarket

Demon_Mustang
04-28-2004, 11:43 PM
I used to drive an Integra before I got the Mustang, fun little car, and it was quick too, but I didn't know what I was missing until I got the Mustang, lol.

I would recommend an Integra, it's really good. I really had fun with that car. :)

del
04-28-2004, 11:47 PM
i like how everyone suggests the very car that they themselves drive or have driven. haha. happens everytime. i've owned an explorer, a prelude SH, and now an A4. and i won't recommend a single one of those for road racing. get yourself a nice miata. the new ones come in turbo. :D seriously though, those things are hyped up for a reason. lightweight, as nimble as a car can become, rwd, excellent front/rear weight distribution. you can find good secondhand ones for the price you're looking at.

Demon_Mustang
04-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Well, I am not saying he should buy them, just telling him my experiences with the cars that I have driven. If it suits his taste, then he should listen to my recommendation. Besides, how can I really recommend a car that I don't know that much about? If I've driven it, and hated it, I wouldn't recommend it. If I haven't driven it, then I'm not really the one recommending it, it's all the people who's said good things about them who are really recommending it, all I would be doing is relaying information said by other sources.

Neutrino
04-29-2004, 12:07 AM
What kind of road racing do you have in mind? AutoX, hill climb, proper tracks?

Add your comment to this topic!