Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RIP Olds.....

quaddriver
04-28-2004, 04:58 PM
thursday the last Oldsmobile rolls off in Lansing.

A memorable car company will be missed.

And may all the execs and suits who caused or let happen its demise rot/burn/suffer in hell for eternity.

For those with a proper sense of history, a fitting epitath would be:

The Doctor is OUT.

MagicRat
04-28-2004, 08:27 PM
thursday the last Oldsmobile rolls off in Lansing.

A memorable car company will be missed.

And may all the execs and suits who caused or let happen its demise rot/burn/suffer in hell for eternity.

For those with a proper sense of history, a fitting epitath would be:

The Doctor is OUT.

Well said.
Oldsmobile was a well recognised brand name, something very valuable these days. It was a waste to let it and the dealer network go.
This is a symptom of a much larger problem, that is, how GM has been in full retreat for 25 years.
It has been losing market share, (from about 45% in 1980 to 29% today) consumer preference and technical leadership for a long time.
It has been retreating from some important market niches, such as small and large sporty cars, (Fiero, Camaro, Firebird) and rwd fleet vehicles (Caprice).
With a few exceptions, GM is the 'discount' brand, in that it is not the favourite or first choice for consumers but the cheapest.
This does not mean that GM builds bad cars, but in so many ways, consumers want, prefer and buy something else.

Tiburon99
04-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Miss the olds....
Facts about olds-

1. started in 1897, " oldest American car company"
2. Had a lot of famous songs about it over the years
3. Won the first official Daytona 500 in 1959
4. Had claim of biggest block engine from the 1950's to when the lightning came out. "car called the 455 rocket"-1897 - 4-29-04, LONG LIVE THE OLDS!!!!

emopunksucksnuts
04-30-2004, 05:52 PM
what they needed to do was come out with a newer version of the olds 442, then people would come roaring back to buy it....

nick

eversio11
04-30-2004, 10:37 PM
I will cherish my Cutlass Supreme as long as he runs, RIP Oldsmobile

jfiliss
05-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree, it's a sad day. A shame that the designer who did the latest Nomad couldn't have done a retro-concept of some of the more memorable Oldsmobiles, like the 61 Starfire or 70-72 Cutlass/442. Some efforts like this might have breathed life back into the marque.

sniper4x4
06-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I wonder what will happen about the replacement parts ?

Add your comment to this topic!