Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Getting the plastic instrument window off...

dougthegreat
04-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX-V6.

I'm trying to get the plastic window that covers the tach, speedometer, gas and temp gauges off because there is some smudging behind it that is ticking me off. Is there an easy way to do this that doesn't involve removing half the dashboard?

Thanks In Advance!

BrokenLimits
04-28-2004, 11:14 PM
You have to remove the whole cluster.

The clear glass snaps onto the surrounding parts. Its impossible to remove it without the cluster in your hands.

dougthegreat
04-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Ehhhh... thanks.

So to remove said cluster, do you just take off the two screws above the window?

BrokenLimits
04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I am not sure how to on an Accord, you have to remove a bezel around the cluster and then clustershould have 4 screws holding in.

jcrx
04-30-2004, 11:04 AM
I am not sure how to on an Accord, you have to remove a bezel around the cluster and then clustershould have 4 screws holding in.
It's not that simple on the later models. I don't have a manual for that new an Accord, so I won't try.

mjshort18
04-30-2004, 12:09 PM
well if you see the 2 screws above the window you take them out and then the plastic peice that goes around the see through part will pop out but you have to pull a little bit to get the clips to let loose. then you should see some screws that are around the see through part and the rest should be self explainatory. this is how i did it on my 98 civic and i am pretty sure it is close to if not the same as the accord. while you are doing it just make sure you get all the screws and inspect for the places it pops out. you should be fine, just try.

dougthegreat
04-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Hey-

I tried unscrewing those two screws from the top (which was freakin' hard with the steering wheel/column in the way), and it didn't quite come off. The top part of the black plastic piece would come, but it seemed like it was snagging on something on the bottom. I didn't see any other screws besides those two. You say there are clips on the bottom? Any ideas on how to get it off without breaking those clips? I really don't want to buy a new one :)

mjshort18
04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
i had to just wedge my fingers in there or just get as low as possible and pull and then they popped off. just be careful because they can break, one of mine broke but it still goes on fine and you can't tell. hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!