Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking to get an '04 Denali XL. I have ?'s

PNW
04-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Hello: I've been reading the this forum and have a couple of questions. We are looking to trade in our '00 Expedition on a Denali or Navigator.

I looked at a Denali last night and the sales lady knew little about the few options. One question I had was on the Multimedia display for the front. The other saleperson stated that it was a Nav unit that can play a DVD when the vehicle is stopped. I do know that this is new option vs the previous Nav system, however is the info correct?

Also I am well aware of the problems with Ford and so is there any particular problems with the GM's such as piston slap etc?

As far as the AWD on the Denali's does that mean that the rear diff is open vs LS? The reason I ask is we have the AWD on our Expy and although I don't drive it much it can be annoying with out the Limited Slip allowing the inside wheel to spin to easily and thus engaging the AWD whitch results in a clunk. Yeah the Navigator has the goofy Advance Trac which is like reverse anti-lock brakes.

I know this is alot of questions but also I would like to know the positive things too. Please just no flames about Ford or whatever since I am just looking for some information.

tonytone
04-28-2004, 06:22 PM
I can't speak about the Navigator, but the Denali...

--The Multimedia display is for displaying the navigation screen and of course, radio/CD-related info. Althought the disc slot for the unit does accept a DVD for the navigation map data, the head unit itself cannot read a DVD movie disc (w/o modifying the head unit)--regardless of whether or not the vehicle is stopped.

--I've yet to read anything about piston slap on the 6-liter engine found on the Denalis; not saying that it doesn't exist, but that I've yet come across someone who has noticed it on a Denali.

--I believe that the '04 Denali does not come with a LSD/locking diff (are the two terms more or less synonymous?); it also goes w/o saying that it doesn't have a low-range gear, either. Note--the AWD on the Denali isn't the same as the one available as an option on the regular Yukons--those are full-time 4WD systems (I'm not referring to Autotrac) w/ low-range gear.

Some things the Navigator offers that the Denali should have (what was GM thinking?):

--power rear liftgate
--side curtain airbags
--power-folding third-row seats that fold into the floor
--rear-park assist (available on Escalade though)

IMHO--the Navigator has the upper hand when it comes to features, but the Denali has the slightly-better styling. Granted the choice is yours to make, but FWIW--I see more Denalis than Navigators out there on the roads, plus I hear that the depreciation on the Navs is worse (relatively speaking) than that on the Denalis.

Vroom2
04-28-2004, 11:21 PM
I have an '03 Denali and have had the pleasure of riding in an '03 Navigator on a few occasions. Tonytone has already spoken to all the objective stuff, so I'll only offer a few subjective things.

I'm not sure there's a classier looking SUV - inside and out - than the Navigator. The dash is gorgeous, the appointments are terrific, and now with the body-color trim, the outside is equally attractive.

Ergonomically, I really like the switch gear and ease of use of the Navigator's controls. The third-row seats are outstanding - both in function and (albeit limited) comfort. In this regard I think the Navigator compares better to the Denali XL, and just blows away the regular wheelbase Denali. My third row seats don't sit in the garage without good reason. :)

That said - here are a few things I've found in favor of the Denali:

Cargo area. While the Navigator may be more efficient, I'd be afraid to put stuff back there for fear of scuffing the finish. I lug a lot of gear and a dog, so maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule, but I like a cargo area ready for cargo.

Ride quality. I've butchered mine a bit with 22's and a mild drop, but I'm still really disappointed - particularly from the middle row - in the ride quality of the Navigator chassis. It's better than the previous generation, but that couldn't have taken much. In fact, I find the Navigator not much better than my modified Denali.

Power and handling. I've not driven or ridden in anything that compares to the 6.0L engine in the Denali (obviously I haven't driven an Escalade). The Navigator seems to know it's carrying around a lot of weight, a point which is made more strong by an engine that doesn't seem to want to do much below 3-grand on the tach. Worse, all that weight seems to present a skyscraper-tall center of gravity. I suppose the rolling sensation could be soft springs, but that wouldn't explain the rough-and-tumble ride.

Sorry to ramble on so long. I hope this helps a little bit.

Take care,
Jerry

PNW
04-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks so much for the reply's. I agree with all that you are saying, however since I will not be driving the Nav or Denali very much,(church on weekends, ski trips) the lack of power in the Navi is something I think that I can deal with. BTW I do have a '03 Ford Lightning for the smile factor.

I am going to test drive a Denali today so then I will have something to compare the Navi too. Thanks again.

BTW the salesperson did say that a person could play a DVD while the vehicle is stopped, so obviously he was wrong.

tonytone
04-30-2004, 02:56 PM
BTW the salesperson did say that a person could play a DVD while the vehicle is stopped, so obviously he was wrong.
Unless he was referring to playing a DVD movie in the RSE unit (referring to the Denali), in which case you can technically play a DVD while the vehicle is stopped; you can use the head unit to have the audio from the DVD movie play through the speakers. But no, you cannot play a DVD movie in the nav head unit--stopped or not--without some serious modification...if even that.

In any case, I digress...if the current Navigator had a more powerful motor, I might have strongly considered buying it instead of the Denali, since as Vroom2 pointed out, the interior styling, finish, and quality of the Navigator is much better than that of the Denali...although I'm not really turned on by the boxy exterior of the Nav.

Vroom2
05-01-2004, 12:35 AM
PNW, you have me thinking. Hmmmm....a Navigator with the Lightning drivetrain... Let's put your vehicles together and have some fun. :)

Off on a tangent, especially since I can't find the darn website, but the company that modifies the GM nav unit to play movies charges $750 to do so.

Take care,
Jerry

PNW
05-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. We made the decision over the weekend and picked up a Navigator. It was tough but the wife likes it so, that seals that. Thanks and good luck.

Vroom2
05-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Congratulations! Marital bliss wins every time. Enjoy the Navigator...

Take care,
Jerry

Add your comment to this topic!