Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo2 - the 100K for t/belt, does that ....

Ramblin Fever
04-27-2004, 08:37 PM
also include the length in time of which to replace Water pump, tensioner??

I'm assuming so, I'm just curious to know if some tensioners and water pump's "go" before the 100K interval. Otherwise, I have no fear of going til then as long as it's not an interference engine.

I'm under the impression that the engine will not be harmed if the belt were to break??

Thanks a bunch!

amigo-2k
04-27-2004, 09:23 PM
If you're a gambler then don't replace the water pump. If you're planning on keeping the truck another 100k, it seems like a little investment now will protect you later down the road.

Also, while the pump is coming out and the belt, make DANG sure you have the belt tensor replaced to. If you don't You will be replacing it also, down the road. When the belt tensor goes to will sound like a horrible rod knock.

I've seen way to many posts like this one:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=510631&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1

Do what you want pay the money now while it is all opened up, or risk redoing the work over again down the road.

-Ryan

rodeo02
04-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Ryan speaks the truth. It's silly not to replace the water pump & tensioner assembly while you are in there. If your rig is running like a top & has been maintained, I would not tear into the t-belt & other goodies utill 100K+ miles. Your 1997 SOHC 3.2 (with hydraulic valve lash adjusters) would just stall out if the t-belt broke. No damage to the engine what so ever. The 1998-2004 3.2's are classified as "interference" but no one has ever had one smash!
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
04-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, I had the original belt, WP, and tensioner replaced at 60K, everything looked brand new. And I now only have 62K on the 2nd sets, so I thought to wait a bit.

Thank you.

Ramblin Fever
04-27-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm definitely keeping this puppy; it's been a great truck and has never left me stalled.

I liked to hope I've maintained her as well, and often as possible - with tranny, radiator, oil changes all done religiously, along with belts, hoses, etc.

At 122K, I'm proud to say, I've never had the "tick" or any kind of oil usage - knock on wood. Truck does EAT headlights for some odd reason, but that's about it.

Oh, and she likes a good alternator bout every 40K or so - just gobbles em dry.

But I can live with having replaced minor wear-tear items, only major work so far was replacing valve cover gaskets due to leaks. But I think much of that came from living in desert heat for the 1st five years of ownership, then moving to the cold during winter.

Lots of thing went that first year back in Colorado - a hose, 2 belts, and the gaskets.

amigo-2k
04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
OEM alts seem to be the way to go. Aftermarket one for Isuzu always seems to die an early death.

-Ryan

Add your comment to this topic!