Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bridging a 4 channel

jdrumstik
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Can I feed two inputs, example: the front left and right channel, from the deck, into a 4 channel amp, bridge it, and expect the now 2 channles to play the same two that are being fed in? Or do i have to input four channles from the deck in order to properly bridge it?

sr20de4evr
04-27-2004, 08:32 PM
You'll have to provide a signal to all 4 inputs, but all you have to do is get a pair of Y splitters so your R rca goes to the front R and rear R inputs on the amp, and the same thing with the L.

jdrumstik
04-28-2004, 11:13 AM
but a y splitter would cut the signal voltage in half, thus making the signal suck, and the audio equipment unhappy. At any rate, so I feed in the two inputs and then I have the connectors for the spaker wire, do I splice two channles worth to one speaker or is there a switch or soemthing. Its in the mail now, so I don't have anything to go by.

also when wiring two amps to one battery, how do I go about it, just connect both wires and then let the fuses do the work?

sr20de4evr
04-28-2004, 11:27 AM
no it won't cut the voltage in half, it will be the same

As for connecting the speakers, your amp should have a diagram for bridging. You attach the speaker to the + from one channel and the - from another channel, it should have a picture saying which + and which - you use.

What do you mean "let the fuses do the work"? You can go about this 2 ways.
1) Each amp has its own power wire running to the + terminal on the batt separately
2) One power wire comes from the batt and goes to a distrobution block, where it's split to 2 wires, one goes to each amp.

jdrumstik
04-28-2004, 11:42 AM
okay, so bassically i jsut wire both to the same post and then they draw as much as they need.

I was askign about the amp because I bought it used so It probably doesn't have instructions.

sr20de4evr
04-28-2004, 12:01 PM
The amp itself should have a diagram on it for bridging
like this:

http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~areynol1/amp_04.jpg

See that little
(+) --------- BRIDGE --------- (-)
under the speaker terminals?
That means to bridge the amp you use those outside + and - terminals.

aznxthuggie
04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
lets say i have the situation, but im more concerned with the fact that there are 2 rca inputs and i only have one set of subwoofer out rca's, so do i just buy the y splitter? and if i do that will it actually decrease the power/quality of the signal?

o just for reference im using a rockford fosgate punch 700x

sr20de4evr
04-28-2004, 01:48 PM
lets say i have the situation, but im more concerned with the fact that there are 2 rca inputs and i only have one set of subwoofer out rca's, so do i just buy the y splitter? and if i do that will it actually decrease the power/quality of the signal?

o just for reference im using a rockford fosgate punch 700x

That's the exact thing jdrumstik was asking

Use the y-splitters, it won't degrade the quality of the signal (unless you use crappy splitters) and it won't drop the voltage of the signal.

burly
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Yeah it won't drop the voltage, it just splits the current, which is fine since the signal is carried on the voltage. The Y-splitter places both of its outputs in parallel with its input. Voltage in parallel is the same, so your signal will be intact. There will be a *slight* overall drop in voltage due to the impedance of the splitter, but you shouldn't notice any quality differences if your RCA output voltage is decent, say >2V.

jdrumstik
04-29-2004, 10:50 AM
what do you know, the amp is really like two amps in one, butr when bridged it can take the siganl from amp A or both amp A and B, so that saves me some money on a slitter and a RCA cable

btw, I found some nice speakers on ebay but one of hte tweeters has been pushed in, what effect does that have, and if I can pop it back out is it the same as before?

burly
04-29-2004, 01:57 PM
No, you usually cannot pop the cap on the cone back out. As far as the effect, changing the shape of a specifically engineered cone will probably make it sound like crap.

jdrumstik
04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
well I didn't buy them, but i have done it before on my old bookshelf system when I was like 12. of course now im pushing a 620watt system through 6 speakers, 4 tower speakers by KLH pushing 12inch woofers, 3 1/4 mids and 3/4 inch tweeter, then i have a klh center pushing 2 2 inch mids and then a tweeter in the middle, and then I have a 10 inch 120W poted sub, it shakes the walls.

Add your comment to this topic!