Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS Brake Light

DJGirl
04-27-2004, 11:52 AM
The ABS light on my 1993 GMC Safari AWD drive van is driving me nuts!!
Hopefully someone can help. It comes on when I hit 25 km/hr and goes off when I slow below that mark. I've been into the GM dealer more than a dozen times...they've replaced the 'brakes switches", both of them and it still comes on. It's an intermittent problem, but sometimes is on for weeks. GM is thinking its some main brake part that's cost me more than 1200 bucks Canadian. I don't think it is, just my hunch. Has anyone else had a problem like this?? E-mail me and let me know as I don't always get back to the message board soundoctors@yahoo.ca

DJ Girl

GMCTech
04-28-2004, 05:06 AM
It IS possible that the EBCM (the $$$$ part) is the problem, but there might be something else wrong.

See if you can find out what codes are being set to turn on the light, and maybe we can help.

LTJGWorth
05-14-2004, 04:50 PM
I have a 1992 Safari with ABS brakes. Or should I say it had ABS brakes. For some reason, the early 1990s model's ABS systems were crap. They went out fairly quickly. Well, at least they did on my van. There are 2 solutions. One is a temporary solution. The other is a permantent solution (the one that I went with). The first solution is to have you ABS system replaced (only to, most likely, go out again). The other is to take it to a garage somewhere and have a wire cut. I'm not sure what wire it is, but it has something to do with the ECM computer controlling the ABS system. That will take care of the ABS light and it will never bother you again.

Add your comment to this topic!