Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diesel

GreenlandMopar
04-27-2004, 09:30 AM
i have an 02 ram with that big cummins and i was wondering how to turn up the fuel on it for more power??? please help......

pind
04-27-2004, 10:41 AM
long time no see man.

How about this, I have an 01, and have used it as a test bed for various things. If you want more power, before thinking fuel, put a high flow air filter on it, and a larger exhaust, letting it breathe. If it cannot get air, or get rid of it after, it won't make good power.

On the subject of fuel delivery. I have tried out various brands of chips in my truck, from banks, diablo, van aaken, BD, edge, and so on. Bang for the buck goes to the diablosport power puck. Noticeable increase in power and economy. Not enough to really set you back on your butt, it does work very well though.

If you have the cash to fly with, the Van Aaken unit is the best out there, found the user adjustable unit the easiest to work with. BD is just a re-badged lower end van aaken unit.

The next step would be to add the 275 hp injectors to the package, giving you a questionable increase in power.

When modding one of these units, remember one thing, the drivetrain on the truck can only handle so much. Once you start turning them loose like that, you better make sure you are the only driver. When you give a bad or inexperienced driver too much power to work with, things will break. Most noticeable problems are the clutch and input shaft, although I have seen candy caned driveshafts from time to time.

We have reliably gotten 420 hp out of these things, as daily drivers, without any troubles other than tire wear and a clutch upgrade. When upgrading the clutch unit, I usually install the aftermarket through hardened input shaft as well, as a precaution against having to tear it down sooner than later.

Any more questions on this stuff, let me know.

GreenlandMopar
04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Yea man i know what you mean about breaking the drivetrain by adding mods like that i put a many trannys into a 92 ram that was used to pull at the truck pulls. We had to much power comming outta that truck. So we put a un-sycronized tranny out of a military 6X6 under that beast and i works great.... Nice thing is that not your ave. joe can jump in a drive an un-sycronized tranny..

GreenlandMopar
04-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Also what mod chips do you recomend for a '97 360 gas motor

pind
04-29-2004, 12:24 AM
look in to superchips programmers. they allow you to change the parameters in the stock computer. Seems to be a neat idea, proven to work.

I have never bothered to chip up a newer gas engine, having not seen the point, but some guys I know have done chevys, with varying degrees of success. Good luck

Decebal
06-16-2004, 09:04 PM
First you need a new chip, secondly you need performance injectors, and I wouldn't turn up the power without having an aluminum oil pan.

Don't forget that the combustion chamber is located in the pistons and those pistons are sprayed with oil to be cooled.
So the more power you run the hotter you run.

I spoke to somebody at a truck show and I bought one for my 1990 Pick-up.
The Oil pan is pretty neat looking, it has some massive cooling fins that looks like something from an f-16.

I will try to find his business card or something and get back to you guys.

Add your comment to this topic!