Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yet another ?: Tamiya Spray

asaenz
04-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Ok guys, look I am a beginner.
I hope I am not bothering too many of you w/ silly questions.

I did read the FAQ but it is not detailed enough in some areas.

For instance the FAQ talks about paint types, like lacquers and enamels, but it doesn't list examples of company paints like Tamiya and etc (for example Tamiya Spray = Lacquer, Testors Spray = Enamel.

I purchased Tamiya paint but nowhere on the can does it say it is acrylic lacquer. Of course now I know that it is from you kind folks. :)

I am more familiar w/ enamel spray paints. The trick to high gloss is to spray it just thick enough until a high gloss wet look appears.

Pls read, here is my ?

I am trying to learn more about Tamiya spray.

With Tamiya you don't spray for a high wet gloss look like you do enamel, right?

Thank you very much for your patience and help.

Pls note I am a little sad right now cuz I ruined my R33 trying to learn w/ Tamiya spray.

Moral of the story practice on Revell models 1st. :)

I do like what I see from Tamiya cuz it shows the bodylines better on the car. Enamel is thicker and covers some details.

Alfred

fredo
04-27-2004, 07:55 AM
The tamiya sprays are NOT acrylics, they are Synthetic lacquers !

The techniques of mist coats and a final wet coat are in the faq (from primera-man if I remember well).

Your model is not ruined. You can bath it in brake fluid for a few days, the tamiya lacquer will come off and you will be able to redo it.

See you.

Junhao
04-27-2004, 08:26 AM
From the Tamiya website

http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/2.htm

There's a short demo video clip as well.

asaenz
04-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Thx for the link and advice guys.
That is really helpfull. :iceslolan

Heck all this miss-used terminalogy is getting to my head. :screwy:

I hope I am not confusing other peops.

We need a fricken dictionary in the FAQ cuz some folks are calling all kinds of paint--lacquer, synthetic lacquer, acrylic lacquer, clear coat lacquer--and I am one of them. :)

Pls excuse the misspells I was too lazy to check. :)

Alfred

Add your comment to this topic!