Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'86 944 clutch pedal is on the floor

ropDave
04-27-2004, 01:15 AM
I used a vacuum system to bleed the slave cylinder but after 2 hours I gave up. The clutch pedal still goes to the floor and doesn't engage the clutch. I can't bleed the system by pumping the clutch pedal since the thing just dives to the floor.

I have been topping off the brake fluid every three days or so. This is not a new problem but I've always been able to get the clutch pedal to return to the proper position with a fair amount of operability. I seem to have a leak somewhere but I can't identify any leaks other than some seepage coming from the the seal between the master brake cylinder and the booster.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

83-944
04-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Your master cylinder may be gone. Look from the foot pedal area inside the car. Squeeze the rubber boot going into the firewall and look for seepage.

When you vcacuum the system, do you only get air or do you get fluid?

ropDave
04-28-2004, 10:35 AM
At first I only got air. I started to take the slave cylinder off but then I started to get fluid coming out of the bleed screw so I secured the slave cylinder and resumed bleeding. This time I got fluid and air but there was never a substantial amount of fluid. Lots of bubbles.

There does seem to be seepage on the boot underneath the dash and there is some dripping from the bottom of the booster. This dripping seems to be coming from the joint of the master cylinder and the booster. I assumed that the seal needed replacing.

83-944
04-28-2004, 03:53 PM
If you got seepage at the boot underr the dash, your master cylinder is on it's way out. Actually, it's probably gone considering the never ending bubbles.

www.vertexauto.com has both the master and slave cylinders for $95 + shipping. Experience has told me that when the one goes, the other will follow soon. Since your at it, you might as well replace both, saves on shipping too!

Hope it helps.

ropDave
04-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Would it be a waste of time to get a rebuild kit and rebuild them? I've rebuilt brake calipers on my FIAT before - I figure it can't be much worse. (?)

83-944
04-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Honestly, i never tried rebuild kits. Last I checked, they ran about $30 each. If you do it, post some pics on the process!

neo the hacker
05-16-2004, 03:56 PM
have u checked the slave, or did u, u have prob done it by now i guess

austin944
05-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey guys,
I had the same problem on my 84 944. Rebuilt the slave and put in new fulid and it was fixed. I rebulit my slave for $25 got the part from autozone. I have seen new slaves on ebay for around $50, so you may want to check that out too. Hope this helps!

Keo_no_ka_oi
05-19-2004, 05:29 PM
I had a similar problem, wasn't my master, it was my slave...It wouldn't fall to the floor, but it wouldn't come back when you pressed it. I bought a rebuild kit from Kragen, it was super easy to replace, just a couple of rubber gaskets and things. I also honed it out because there was a little bit of corrosion...the bad seals let air in, which caused the inside of the cylinder to get all nasty...go rebuild, its easy.

Add your comment to this topic!