Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interesting thought

RoraStar96
04-26-2004, 03:29 PM
This idea was mentioned in the garage door opener thread by dred98, but I think this idea is so wacky it may work.

If you have a remote starter installed, could the garage door opener button mounted to the underside of the ceiling "learn" the remote starter signal.

How cool would that be...ceiling mounted push button start :smokin:

Or am I just a big :loser:

:lol2:

kev's 96 Aurora
04-26-2004, 03:49 PM
The only thing is that most remote starts work so that once you hit the button you get in the car, stick the key in, and turn it to the run position. My buddy has RS on his subby and you can't touch a damn thing in the car or it will shut off (ie. brake, gas, radio) I believe it detects power surges other than the engine and dome light. SO..if you have it setup that you turn the key to the on position then hit the button that would be cool, if not you will still have to get the key out and go through the motions afterward. RS is still a cool option if you have all the options like door unlock, trunk release, etc. on the remote. My buddys subby doesn't work the doors.

RoraStar96
04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Yes, I had RS on my previous car and it would shut down only if I touched the brake or if the hood was popped. Ideally it would be a novelty.

It would work the same as the FOB that starts the car, except the car has already learned the FOB signal. Get in, push button , car starts, insert key to run position. Tap brake to release the system and off you go.

:)

ponchonutty
04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Yes, I had RS on my previous car and it would shut down only if I touched the brake or if the hood was popped. Ideally it would be a novelty.

It would work the same as the FOB that starts the car, except the car has already learned the FOB signal. Get in, push button , car starts, insert key to run position. Tap brake to release the system and off you go.

:)
In theory it would work but it won't. This is true for at least the remote starters I sell fro DEI. They have super high frequency. That's how they can get up to 1/4 mile range. You'd have to install some sort of "reciever" that would learn a much lower frequency where the garage opener is at. I know to get my remote starters to work on garage door openers, I have to add a module that can handle the RS's high frequency. The module is piggy backed onto the switch you use to open the door in the garage.

RoraStar96
04-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Hrm...interesting. So if I was interested in this as a project, how much would a DEI unit cost as well as a module to convert the signal?

Or is there a lower output frequency that can be used for this idea?

Or is it even worth it?

ponchonutty
04-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Hrm...interesting. So if I was interested in this as a project, how much would a DEI unit cost as well as a module to convert the signal?

Or is there a lower output frequency that can be used for this idea?

Or is it even worth it?
Nope, I don't think it would work. I'd have to think on that one. Getting something to send out the signal to get the car to start would be the hard thing. I know most remote starts have a (-) pulse activation input. So, if you had that garage door switch sending out a (-) pulse in theory, it would work. You could actually use anything in the car that would send any trigger and use a relay to change the polarity as needed. Don't think you'd need the modules I talked about. You could go to www.directed.com and go to manuals. The, go to install, then look for accessories. I think they have all the parts on there but can't rememeber the right part numbers that might work.

RoraStar96
04-27-2004, 10:46 PM
It was a whimsical idea, but the ends really dont justify the means.

I will however check out the link. Thank you for your insight.

I guess my James Bond moment is over eh ;)

ponchonutty
04-27-2004, 10:59 PM
It was a whimsical idea, but the ends really dont justify the means.

I will however check out the link. Thank you for your insight.

I guess my James Bond moment is over eh ;)
Well, not really. It would work but just not the way you were thinking. You wanted it to "send" a signal via the cordless way right???? Well, you'll have to get it to work via hard wiring it together. I do simular things with valet switches on alarms. I'll use an OEM switch for an emergency shut down switch. I can use anything like brights, horn, brake, power mirror, or even something like trunk pop to achieve this.

Add your comment to this topic!