Page updated on 03-17-2018

Axle wrap and Suspension of stock 04' 4wd

04-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Dear Guys,

I had a 1999 prerunner that had wicked axle wrap. My truck got totalled two weeks ago. I am going to replace it with an '04. I am seriously considering upgrading to 4wd and TRD. What exactly is the difference in suspension with TRD? Will 4wd and TRD reduce axle wrap? Or is it unavoidable?

Sidenote: Why in the heck can't Toyota fix that problem if so many trucks have it? I absolutely hated it in my truck...

04-27-2004, 12:28 AM
only difference between the TRD and non-TRD suspensions is you get bilstein shocks, and the front coils are progressive rate coils....was your prerunner lifted w/ blocks or anything? cuz that contributes to axle wrap....I got an 02 tacoma lifted in the rear w/ a downey shackle and no axle wrap so I don't really know what's going on there

04-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the response man. I didn't have the 1999 Prerunner lifted or any modifications at all. It just felt so spongy in the rear and the axle wrap was horrible. Would the 4wd have stiffer springs in the rear? Honestly, the only complaint I had of that truck was the axle wrap. I just want to make sure if I get a 4wd it won't do it too. Anyone had axle wrap with a 4wd?

04-27-2004, 07:12 PM
did your prerunner have axle wrap from the start or did it develop over time? your springs probably just gave out on truck rode around stock for 45k and no axle wrap...if you're truly worried about it, pick up some deaver springs...they're around $500 and give ya about 1 1/2 inches of lift but ride nice...

04-28-2004, 02:36 AM
you will probably still have axle wrap with the '04, because your prerunner was essentially a 4wd truck without the front diff and t-case, so the prerunner uses the same springs as 4x4's, when i lifted my '99 the add-a-leaf I used helped out a lot with the wrap, I'm not too sure on this but the TRD's may use a higher spring rate rear leaf which may help this

Add your comment to this topic!