Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fire in 2002 Yukon Denali

caudelin
04-26-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had an experience similar to mine. I was driving down the road in my 2002 Yukon Denali when I smelled smoke. I quickly realized it was coming from my vehicle and that it was not coming from the engine--it was coming from the console between the two front seats. I pulled over right away and by that time the area was literally beginning to blaze. Two fire trucks appeared within a couple of minutes and took about 10 minutes to put out the fire. Although I don't have the official appraisal, I believe the car is totalled. The wheels and engine survived (apparently the fire wall worked in reverse)--the rest burned, melted, or exploded. It only had 43,000 miles and was TOTALLY serviced by the certified GMC dealer from which we bought the vehicle. Cars that are still under warranty that have totally been serviced by GMC dealers shouldn't catch on fire by themselves. Has anyone had or heard of something similar happening? Do you have any advice on how to get GMC to make things right?

Vroom2
04-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Ouch - I'm very sorry to hear this. I know it's a cliche, but at least no one was hurt. Did the responding Fire agency do an investigation? I recommend checking with the Marshal or Inspector - they're usually very helpful and can at least offer some advice if they don't have the resources or authority to investigate. How about your insurance company? Before they total it, or write a large check for repairs, I'm sure they'd try to hunt down an explanation. Good luck with everything...

Take care,
Jerry

John Fabris
04-30-2004, 05:58 PM
My 2001 yukon caught fire due to bad wiring with the OnStar. Warrenty fixed it...

caudelin
05-07-2004, 08:10 AM
This happened on 4/22. GMC has STILL not looked at the vehicle. I guess they want us to accept what our insurance offered. Being that the car still had 2 full years of factory warranty, and it burned of its own accord, I think GMC should be responsible. We had Onstar. I wonder if that could have been involved. (It doesn't work when the car's on fire, by the way. I tried it and the emergency button quickly, but neither worked.) The car is totalled. I am so incredibly frustrated by this!!

Add your comment to this topic!