Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS/VTEC turbo questions

meet07
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
my buddy is thinking about doung a LS bottom end with a ported and polished gsr head. but if im not mistaking that bumps up the compression. but im not sure how much. he is wanting to push about 20-25 psi. what kind of pistond do he need to get to safely run this setup??

boosted331
04-26-2004, 01:45 PM
How about a realistic horsepower goal, not just saying I want to run 20-25 PSI. Boost is irrelevant unless we know everything else about the motor.

edman24
04-26-2004, 02:39 PM
How about a realistic horsepower goal, not just saying I want to run 20-25 PSI. Boost is irrelevant unless we know everything else about the motor.

while this is true we can give some more info. ok yes that hybrid motor will raise the compression. and of course it will need to be strengthened considerably to run 20-25 psi. you will need the block to be sleeved, and forged pistons and forged rods. all other specs are dependent on the hp goal he is trying to achieve. oh and remember, that kind of boost should accompany stand alone engine management, ignition upgrades, and full fuel upgrades

meet07
04-26-2004, 10:05 PM
he is running aem and the bottom end is already built. the comp on it now is 9:8:1 but thats to high to run the amount of boost that he wants. he is looking into reaching about 600hp. maybe thats not realistic but running 20-30 psi is. the bottom end in now being torn down and he is sending it off to get sleeves so thats already taken care of. let me just ask this......what is need to lower the comp to an 8:5:1. if LS/vtec bumps the comp up already then an 8:5 isnt really 8:5 any more.

edman24
04-26-2004, 10:21 PM
he is running aem and the bottom end is already built. the comp on it now is 9:8:1 but thats to high to run the amount of boost that he wants. he is looking into reaching about 600hp. maybe thats not realistic but running 20-30 psi is. the bottom end in now being torn down and he is sending it off to get sleeves so thats already taken care of. let me just ask this......what is need to lower the comp to an 8:5:1. if LS/vtec bumps the comp up already then an 8:5 isnt really 8:5 any more.

ok check this out. in order to get 600hp he needs an insane build up. i should know because my friend is building a 650hp ek right now. first of all you better make that thing 2L after being sleeved. also 9.8:1 comp is not too high to boost 20-30psi. thats just right if you are going with a crazy setup like that. it makes the turbo spool a little faster and allows a higher overall hp rating. also even if he wanted to lower compression, all he has to do is contact JE pistons, tell them what block and head he is using, and they will custom fabricate him some pistons that will get any compression ratio he wants. also about the aem thing. im assuming you meant hes running aem engine management? that is not enough to get 600hp i guarantee you. my friend is running full Motec system. aem does not give you the right amount of tuneability to get those numbers and keep the motor running.

if you ask me your friend is biting off more than he can chew. anyone who couldnt answer these questions for themselves is not fit to build such a car.

turbo2nr
04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
alos what turbo will make 650hp on a honda and more importantly when will u see this power? you can jut slap on a turbo with a .63 ar and hope it will make ove 400hp also is the same as slapping on a .78 ar and hoping you will make boost at 2krpmz.. 600hp on a honda motor isnt realistic.. i think your friend should really re-consider his goals..

edman24
04-27-2004, 02:16 PM
alos what turbo will make 650hp on a honda and more importantly when will u see this power? you can jut slap on a turbo with a .63 ar and hope it will make ove 400hp also is the same as slapping on a .78 ar and hoping you will make boost at 2krpmz.. 600hp on a honda motor isnt realistic.. i think your friend should really re-consider his goals..

actually it is realistic for an all race setup. my friend will most likely be using a 60-1 or t66 the same setup is running 647hp on the dyno right now

boosted331
04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
aem does not give you the right amount of tuneability to get those numbers and keep the motor running.

This post was great till I hit this part. What the hell are you thinking? There are a few 6 second cars running the AEM, and even a car in Tuscon making 1800-odd horsepower and running high 7's, STREET DRIVEN. He's running TWIN GT42R's on a 337" SBF with a massive solid roller, AEM EMS with coil-on-plug ignition and it runs great on avgas. The AEM is just as good as any other EMS, the only thing it lacks is tuner support, so far.

meet07
04-27-2004, 10:45 PM
thats what i was thinking too. i just came from the nopi event in VA and one of the guys there is pushing 400 and some hp to the wheel and he is running a 9.8. if he is running that at that hp then i assume that if other 4's are running 8's and 7's like lisa then 600 hp is realistic. and i would also think that most stand alones can makes cars where they produce 600 hp or more. if not why would it be called standalone. i bet u with some research there are some 8-900 supras somewhere running aem ems

edman24
04-27-2004, 11:20 PM
This post was great till I hit this part. What the hell are you thinking? There are a few 6 second cars running the AEM, and even a car in Tuscon making 1800-odd horsepower and running high 7's, STREET DRIVEN. He's running TWIN GT42R's on a 337" SBF with a massive solid roller, AEM EMS with coil-on-plug ignition and it runs great on avgas. The AEM is just as good as any other EMS, the only thing it lacks is tuner support, so far.

my point exactly was the tuner support. ok so its a stand alone system and yah there are people making good power and hitting good numbers with it. but how many people use it? not many. any of the 4 tuning shops that i know and have dealt with (all equipped with dynos and tuning software) have never given the aem ems standalone system a second look when compared to motec, hondata, or haltech. personally i trust them over a bunch of people giving me timeslips and hp numbers from PROFESSIONAL, FULL-MANUFACTURER SPONSORED cars. it is up to you on which stand alone you choose.

Add your comment to this topic!