MR2 vs CELICA vs LEVIN/TRUENO

ZxJUNxZ
04-26-2004, 09:04 AM
**I LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND, NEAR AUSTRAILIA BOTTOM OF DA WORLD.
SO IT MIGHT B A BIT DIFFERENT FROM U.S**

Hey, how u doin fellaz?! I have been fustrated about what car i should buy and i came down to these three cars. I am only a student and dont have much money and Im choosing my first car.

~Toyota MR2,Celica and Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno (1991-1994)~
MR2(non-turbo,I want a n/a engine),Celica SS-II(3SGE), Levin/Trueno (4AGE) AE101. but from here I cant decided and I need some informations and opinion on these cars from you to help me decide thoughtfully.

I will tell you what I know about the car and what I think,correct me if I'm wrong and do explain to me in easy language that I can understand.

#I want a MR2 because it is an Midship car with rwd and I think it will have most advantage comin in and goin out at corners.I dunt know what exact engine it has but i think it has 4age?!? And also apparantly it's fast but how fast?

#I like the Celica because from what I know it's the most powerful out of the car from my choice. Celica SS-II with 3SGE engine, stock power of 132kw/7000 and 191/4800nm. I dunt know if it's possible but is it possible to convert SS-II to a GT4?

GT4 is 4WD but SS-II is fwd and I dunt know if it's possible and if so... to put in 3SGTE to the SS-II is that also possible?

#Finally my old favourite, levin/Trueno...
I like this car because it only take lil petrol 1.6cc and can show great performance. It's cheap to run and cheaper to buy than Celica and MR2.

Anyway could you please answer some questions that I have?
(Please ONLY answer if u r sure, I do not want random guess but facts)

1. What car has the most power from their stock engine?
2. Is it possible to convert Celica SS-II into a GT4 and have the 4wd?
3. Is it better to have GT4 engine in SS-II and not have the 4wd because doesnt it take more power to use all wheels?
4. If these car are all in factory condition and were to go in a circuit race what would be the ranking?
5 .What is cheaper? Getting a Celica or getting a Levin/trueno and since it's only 1.6cc save money with the petrol and modify so it can be faster than celica SS-II?
6. What car is great for a first car? (Rank them plz)

PLZ do answer my questions if u know, and any other question that I might have asked above,talkin about what i know about those cars.
Do correct me if I am wrong.
THANK U!!! AND TELL ME EVERYTHING THAT U KNOW ABOUT THESE CARS. I WILL APRRECIATE ALL UR OPINIONS.

MR2Driver
04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
1st of all the MR2 has either the 3SGE for the N/A (5SFE for us Americans) and the 3S-GTE for the Turbo model, so if you're interested in a 3S-GTE powered sports car, no need to get the swapped Celica. The MR2 is already powered with said powerplant and is much faster.

1. The GT4 and MR2 will have the faster engines (same.)
2. Anything is possible w/ money.
3. AWD > FWD
4. Depending on weather, MR2 in dry, GT4 in wet.
5. No clue on that one, i dont know your prices out there...
6. The MR2 is NOT a great 1st car, it'd be safer for you and the car to learn to drive on a FWD car, then after at least a year or two, try out a real rwd sports car. These cars arent very forgiving, you have to really learn the car and its limits....

ZxJUNxZ
04-26-2004, 09:40 AM
1st of all the MR2 has either the 3SGE for the N/A (5SFE for us Americans) and the 3S-GTE for the Turbo model, so if you're interested in a 3S-GTE powered sports car, no need to get the swapped Celica. The MR2 is already powered with said powerplant and is much faster.

4. Depending on weather, MR2 in dry, GT4 in wet.
6. The MR2 is NOT a great 1st car, it'd be safer for you and the car to learn to drive on a FWD car, then after at least a year or two, try out a real rwd sports car. These cars arent very forgiving, you have to really learn the car and its limits....

So basicly MR2 has the same engine as the Celica SS-II that I want to buy? (Im looking for non-turbo by the way)

By the way I asked in Question for out of MR2,Levin/trueno and Celica SS-II not GT4! So again, What car would be advantaged? In overall conditions.

And referring to question 6, u answered for me. I have driven FWD (my mums car for about 1 yr and Im tellin u it's so booorrrrriiiinnnngg)
Only reason that I want to drive MR2 is it's a difficult car to drive PERFECTLY and I just want to master drving skills of MR2. Once I can drive MR2 well, I believe I can drive any cars.

What rwd cars are there? that are same cc's (petrol) and power.
I only for for Honda's,Toyota's and Nissan.

pdxvento
04-26-2004, 10:46 PM
you cant just jump into mastering a sports car. i doubt youve had your mom's car at the track too often, and i think what hes trying to say is that if you dont have the proper background and take it slow, you'll end up around a lamp post.

HondaChili
05-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Just for future reference, u cant ask the question of which car to buy on a car forum section whos main readers are mr2 owners. you just wont be getting an unbiased opinion because we mr2 owners will always buy mr2's, haha if u want an unbiased opinion u should try car comparisons forums because i think you will prob find more about what u want there. if u have any specific questions about the "2" feel free to come back.

nivekwilson
05-21-2004, 10:43 AM
what do you want to do with the car as in driving style(drifting, racing, what) once you make up your mind then it will be easyer to make your choice

flex339
05-24-2004, 02:35 AM
I'm not mr2 biased. Get an RX-7 :iceslolan It's rwd, light, 50/50 weight distribution, and coming with 160hp n/a and 202hp turbo

Alltrac-3sgte
05-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Rx7 will never hang to mr2 nor gt4 because the 3sgte is the strongest 4 cylinder ever made the rx7 is mostly only good for road racing but for long racing the rotors are to week and the 3sgte is not it can make 700 hp.

KiwiMR2
05-29-2004, 04:28 AM
Get the levin/trueno.....easy to mod, cheapest and will take a good thrashing. RX7 (Talking batmo) would more often than not out-handle & be quicker straight out of the box. As mentioned above the MR2 has the 3sge as does the celica.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

flex339
06-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Rx7 will never hang to mr2 nor gt4 because the 3sgte is the strongest 4 cylinder ever made the rx7 is mostly only good for road racing but for long racing the rotors are to week and the 3sgte is not it can make 700 hp.

Yeah the RX-7 will never hang to a mr2 since it makes more power stock for stock. Even modified it is a good car for racing as is the mr2.

rx7 is mostly only good for road racing but for long racing the rotors are to week and the 3sgte is not it can make 700 hp.

How is it that RX-7's can be good at road racing and not long racing? Please explain. The rotors are to weak that's a good one. Have you ever owned and raced a RX-7? No? Well maybe you should before you make uneducated blanketing statements. It's also funny that you don't think rotarys can make 700hp. Try doing a few searches on the web I'm sure you can find more than a few rotaries making 700hp. Anyways I would suggest you do some more research on things before you say they are no good.

c32b1 NSX
06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
man.... shoulda put an 85 levin/trueno. woulda stood a better chance.

ghetto7o2azn
06-08-2004, 12:21 AM
yeah, the rx7 i think can actually handle more power than the 3sgte... but its this guys first car... i dont think hes going to be racing it that much and putting huge mods on it anyways... plus, rx7's are known for their reliability problems....while the 3sgte is not...

flex339
06-08-2004, 01:09 AM
that is true that rx7s have been known for reliability problems. They need to be taken care of. Oil changes, warm up, and general tuning will give rotories a long life span. Many N/A rotories clear 200K miles. The turbos don't last quite as long. For a first car a rx-7 could be much. It just depends what you're looking for really. My engine is a crate motor that has about 75K on it. It still runs great. I autocrossed it on Memorial Day. The redline buzzer was my best friend that day. :)

TRD2000
08-29-2004, 07:38 PM
uh well anyway... back to the toyotas!

you never said whether you were looking at a MK1 or MK2 MR2 (or i missed it)

MK1 has a 4A-GE same as levin
MK2 has 3S-GE same as celica (in NZ guys)

i personally think the N/A MR2 would give a substancial hiding to the SS celica, but i drive a turbo mr2 so...

personally from the sounds of things i would go for a levin, in either 20V or S/C, despite the fcat that these cars are FF, and have a smaller motor they are not slow, as can be shown by their success in events like the Taranaki Tarmac Rally for example. You will also find them a lot easier and cheaper to work on than an MR2.

learning to drive a FF properly is a lot different to driving a FF, i've been driving for nearly 20 years now and i can still have a lot of fun in an FF, probably more than my MR2 because they are not a forgiving car. Having a car that requires you to drive "perfectly" takes a lot of the fun out of driving at the legal limit. Did you know NZ police take your license off you for driving more than 50 over? I just found out. I'd say go the FF and learn to handbrake... FF drifts are fun!

sure a FF celica can go to AWD but it takes a lot less money to just buy the original Group A GT4.

anything else? aside from the RX7 crap.

NSX-R
01-17-2005, 09:04 PM
I think the MR2 is the best

fierangero
01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Mid-engine cars are NOT very forgiving, as someone already stated. if you are taking a turn a little fast that rear will swing right around. my fiero is my fourth car (all RWD) and i still spun it a time or two. they are, however, great off the line, not too much traction problems until you get into the higher horsepower. if you are going for performance, a front chin spoiler will be a very good friend, because MR cars have little weight on the steering wheels, so at high speeds you get front end lift, and suddenly you find yourself going straight while the road is turning. i suggest as a first car a FWD or AWD, very easygoing cars.

Mr.Molasses
01-18-2005, 09:20 AM
personally i love the rx-7 but it dosent hold a candle to the mr2 in the looks department

Mr.Molasses
01-18-2005, 09:22 AM
the fiero is a wannabe mid-engine and i hope i never see it compared to an mr-2 again

fierangero
01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
the fiero is a wannabe mid-engine and i hope i never see it compared to an mr-2 again

can you please post some facts to back up your ignorant-ass statement? didnt think so. :nutkick: :nono:

Add your comment to this topic!