Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Buick Lesabre Intermittent Start

bah53
04-25-2004, 11:09 AM
I have a 1995 Buick Lesabre that starts when it wants to. It will crank but not start sometimes. It first started when i dropped my keys into some water. I wiped them off as best i could and then put them in and the car started fine. The next day i got in and it did not crank and the security light stayed on. A few hours later my father got in and it started fine. About a week after this i got in and it would crank but not start. I have spark but no fuel the fuel pump does not come on. I tried to start it several times and it would not start, finally it started. The security light only stays on for the 5 second bulb test then goes out. When it runs it does not die or stall or hesitate at all. It has been doing this on and off for about a week. In the last 10-15 thousand miles these parts have been replaced, pcm, camshaft sensor, coil pack, fuel pump and fuel filter. Could this be a bad connection to the fuel pump or possibly the pass key system? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

randall_6
05-05-2004, 07:44 AM
I have this exact same problem with my 92 lesabre, I think it is a vats problem, but it may be the crank shaft sensor.

Jed Rule
05-05-2004, 06:38 PM
The pass-key decoder module grounds the starter enable relay when an ignition key with the correct resistance in inserted in the ignition lock. This would not affect the fuel pump but it would flash the security light. Other things that would prevent the engine from cranking: neutral switch, ignition switch, or bad starter. The fact that this happened after the key got wet leads me to think pass-key problem. The starter enable relay is above the fuse box under the left side of the dash. You could start by testing there when it happens next.
The problem with the fuel pressure is a seperate problem.

diocco
05-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I just started having the same problem. Is the starter enable relay Round? Left side of the steering shaft? Mine wont start and it is HOT without the key on! (My car is a 92 LeSabre)
Thank You

Add your comment to this topic!