Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Surging and bad gas mileage

scuba dave
04-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Hello,
My 95 with 124,000 miles on it surges and gets 23 mpg when I am driving along. I have changed the plugs and wires and nothing came up when the dealer scanned it for another problem (Shift solenoids). It is not a miss; I am thinking it is the fuel pressure regulator. Could you tell me where this is and if there is a way to check it?

I did that air box mod that has been talked about here today. Wow, that is the best 30 minutes I have ever spent. You can actually tell a differance.
Has anyone put the computer chip in thier Aurora yet?

Thanks for the help and comments with the surging and bad gas mileage.

Dave

97 silverbullet
04-24-2004, 10:56 PM
nope but Im trying to figure out how I can get it, I know domestic performance has it but I need to know some more info before I get it, but I think I might next week.

tjm
04-26-2004, 09:30 AM
FPR is the most common performance fix on these cars - just behind the throttle body next to the coil pack - mounts into the fuel rail and has a single vac line that may have gas in it if the FPR is bad. Long crank time to start is usually a tell tale sign as well.

Another performance issue seems to be vac leaks. PCV valve elbows and intake manifold bolts loose.
Also clean the throttle body of carbon deposits.

AuroraXtreme
04-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Whats the going price for a new FPR ? Any discounted places on the net for a new one? 95 Aurora 70,792 miles. Having same problem with stalling (especially when turning a corner). Also when preparing to slow down for slowing traffic or even coming to a stop--the RPM drops to about 0 then surges back up to around 2 or 3--causing the vehicle to lunge forward with a little acceleration which makes me frantically brake harder than normal--to avoid colliding with the car ahead of me. I also notice the gas pedal goes in by itself during the course of that sudden acceleration. I did a little checking around the throttle cable area while in idle, and I noticed there's a little controller of some sort ( I believe it's the Idle Speed Control Motor). Well when I manually give it gas by moving the throttle cable, I see that the Idle Speed Controll Motor responds by pushing out a little plunger type rod to bring the throttle cable back to a resting position and normal idle. I have a hunch that mine could be faulty as well. Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

TRURX7
04-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Got mine for $48 from Lafayette Auto Supply, Indiana. I got the AC Delco. Fixed my surging and hard starting problems runs like a charm.

RobertHammen
04-29-2004, 09:20 AM
The FPR for the 95's is around $100. The one for my '98 (different part number) only cost me around $36 or $38 at the local Buick dealer. Of course, it came with the wrong o-rings on the bottom, which didn't seat right and caused hard-crank starts (and once, a backfire) until I got the right size o-rings...

*sigh*

--Robert

Add your comment to this topic!