New Supra 2003

justin@af
12-02-2000, 07:16 PM
Well Toyota is coming out with the 4000GT based on the lexus sc400 chassis...It's rumored to produce 400 viper chasing HP...So definitely something to look out for...What does everyone else think?

----------
People say my tail lights look good...hmmm maybe its because thats all they see

enzo@af
12-04-2000, 10:09 PM
It's pretty sweet. I saw a concept pic of it in Road and Track once. Looks similar to a 3000GT in my opinion.

----------
"Ferrari isn't a car, it's a lifestyle"
-Enzo Ferrari.

JD
12-10-2000, 04:54 PM
Sounds like it's gonna be a killer ride, but Toyota is also throwing the price right through the roof reportedly. And I honestly don't know if it will sell, particularly with an escalated price.

Many automakers are producing high-priced sports cars now and in the next few years, perhaps in hopes of assigning supercar, collectible status to them so that the wealthy will purchase them. But the Supra was removed from the American Toyota line-up because of the SUV explosion. This explosion has not stopped, nor even slowed its expansive, almost dominating take-over of the automobile marketplace here in the US.

I applaud Toyota’s release of a new supercar to reckon with the likes of the Viper, Corvette Z06, Porsche 911, and others. But I have my doubts as to whether this move will pay off for them.

I am hoping for a resurgent, golden age in the sports car era, where Nissan, Toyota, Mazda rotaries, and other Japanese sports cars make their way to our shores again, and once again enjoy a share in the automotive market as SUV’s do now.

autofan
12-17-2000, 04:16 PM
here's the drawing of this Toyota 4000GT you guys are talking about:
http://www.busybeetoys.com/SCOOP/06-4000GT.jpg
looks VERY much like the Supra. I guess that's a good thing!
I like the looks of the Supra :)

Edited by: autofan

nospower2001
12-18-2000, 03:12 AM
it looks like a cross between a mkiv and the new celica, looks good. has anyone heard if they are going to bring back the supra to the states when they unleash the new beast on the unsuspecting V-8's?

justin@af
12-25-2000, 11:39 PM
Any ideas as to how much this bad boy is gonna cost? Probably to early though

----------
People say my tail lights look good...hmmm maybe its because thats all they see

kepone
02-08-2001, 09:50 PM
ok, toyota has denounced any plans to produce the 4000gt. the car wont be made, and thats all there is to it. the 4000gt though wasnt gonna be a replacement for the supra though, it was going to be in the supercar class ( 996tt/ modena/nsx class ) and it was supposed to cost over 100k.. regardless, its not being made..

in any case, the 4000gt artists rendition is a total copy of a mitsubishi FTO-GPX. here, take a look..

http://www.supercars.net/Pic?s=1&i=730&p=1997_mitsubishi_fto-1.jpg&y=1997&m=Mitsubishi&o=FTO

see any similarities? i do.. right down to the wheels..

anyway, there was a computer image of what the next supra was supposed to look like..but i havent been able to find it lately.. if anyone knows SCOOP's new website, you can find the image there..

justin@af
02-09-2001, 12:00 AM
Hey thanks for the 411...Oh well that stinks...but why am i complaining?hehe i wouldn't have been able to afford it

Dylan_Michael
02-10-2001, 10:23 AM
Well, the main reason for producing the pic is too spur design study's on the next supra. The rest is just stuff the media (like ourselves) made up.

SledgehammerVette
02-10-2001, 11:01 AM
I am not sure if this is a picture of the 2003 Supra, but this is butt ugly IMO. But with the power it sounds like it is going to be one hell of a car!

http://garage-r.hypermart.net/scoop/supra3.jpg

enzo@af
02-11-2001, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I've seen that picture before. Kind of looks like a 300ZX

Supra Man
02-11-2001, 08:08 PM
The Supra shown in that pic is a cocept car in Japan that even if it did go into production would not be released in America.

kepone
02-11-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Supra Man
The Supra shown in that pic is a cocept car in Japan that even if it did go into production would not be released in America.

the next supra will be released in america.. it will also be marketed much better.. toyota will not let nissan and honda keep the japanese super/sports car market share.. nissan is going to release the r35 gtr, and honda will have their new nsx.. toyota will be stupid not to release the next supra here.. and besides, weve seen how they are gearing more toward sporty cars now.. IE.. new celica, mr2.. etc etc..

Supra Man
02-12-2001, 02:34 PM
I was talking about this Supra not being released at all. Its a concept in Japan. Sorry for wording it wrong.

Dylan_Michael
02-12-2001, 04:02 PM
Yes, Toyota would be very stupid not to release it. But surprisingly, they have kept its development very secret. You hardly see anything new on it.

Umair
02-28-2001, 09:38 PM
There is another Supra/supra replacement on the way... possibly...
I had someone translate this link for me but very choppily. It looks like a Celica and a Ferrari Modena had a baby.. I like it.... I don't know if anyone can translate it for everyone, but it definately is a Toyota.. and according to another supra guy on a different forum, it is definatly an MKV Supra. It will be called the 4500GT (the Mk3 was the 2000GT if I'm not mistaken).
Here is the thread.

http://www.supraforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000424

Hope that helps.
I'm new to this board and look forward to it!
Thanks,
-Umair

justin@af
02-28-2001, 09:41 PM
welcome to the board...Hope you enjoy it as much as I do...hehe

igor@af
02-28-2001, 09:45 PM
Welcome Umair!
I hope you like it here...
About the magazine cover.. [I can read Japanese :D]
They do not mention that that car is the next Toyota Supra... rather, they're calling it Toyota GT... hm....
I would think there are chances that this is their new freshly designed model, that will take over the Supra... but I do not think this is the next "Supra".

igor@af
02-28-2001, 09:47 PM
btw, this is the pic we're talking about:
http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/issue/2000/1225/rjm_yk1225_10_01.jpg

Umair
02-28-2001, 09:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.
Is there any other information you can get out if it... I think if you check out that thread there is a link to the actual article but I'm not sure... Any input would be greatly appreciated. My supra's value if going to go tumbling down when this gets released...
Oh well.
-Umair

igor@af
02-28-2001, 10:02 PM
I read the lil article they had... the car is going to be called Toyota 4500GT, not Supra. And it will obviously have 4.5 liter engine.

beezer
03-02-2001, 07:27 PM
igor u are the man like i sadi b4 being able to read all those languages. neways what ever the new toyota is called it looks pretty sweet to me. of btw does anybody else want to see a mr2 coupe like the orginals or is it just me

Racer 20
03-23-2001, 05:02 PM
igor: Since it wil be a 4.5 it will be an 8 right? Please say its an 8. :( I can't stand the thought of a i6 with 4.5. It sounds rejected. Will it have a turbo? Probably not right? :(

spitzfan
04-27-2001, 12:10 AM
I read the article in BestCar. There is speculation that the car may in fact be getting a 4.7L V12. This is the same engine that is currently available in the top of the line Toyota Century.
Most likely it will get the 4.5L V8 (a bored up version of the 4.3L found in the Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS430) with an output of around 400hp.
A V12 may sound like a lot until you realize that as many Ferraris were sold in Japan over the last 5-7 years as Supras... This would certainly be enough to tell Mr. Viper to kiss your ....

matt
05-15-2001, 09:49 PM
I also see the new Z-car coming through in that orange pic. Maybe it's the color. I dunno. I like it though. I hope they will bring it to the states. Knowing the gov't, if it ever does get here, It'll have about 5 cats, milder cams, and much more docile CPU. Owell, thats the price we pay for a "free" country :rolleyes:

Morpheus XIII
06-05-2001, 04:11 AM
I second the rumor of the V12, but it could be an all new 5.0. Sources say that primary reasons for Toyota's continued sports car manufacturing/advancement is the JGTC. In recent months, the GT class has been lead by Nissan and Honda, which Toyota plans to marauder with an all new grand tourer. Originally they were going to take the next step and use the already fantastic 4.3L V8 on a new platform, but recent developments spawned an interest in the exotic market with a mid-engined V12, known as the 5000GT. A bit much for grand touring, but hell, being on top financially, Toyota has the means and the will. In my belief, they will plan do out-do Nissan's international marketing strategy to lead class by power. Even though Nissan is my brand of choice, I believe Toyota deserves a standing ovation for its marketing brilliance.

Boosted II
08-04-2001, 01:44 AM
By MR2 coupe resembling the original...which original would you be referring to? The old boxy style from 85-89 is technically the true one, and although fun to drive, are ugly as hell.

TalonBoy
08-14-2001, 06:44 PM
I think we are all going to get what we want ... a sport compact car era, since gas prices are skyrocketing consumers are going to head towrd import car with good gas mileage to feed the need for speed and keeping some money in their poket at the same time. with the release of the new celicas, RSX integras and whatnots the boom is starting to tkae place already, even the manufactures want to get in on the import seen like how toyota has the new special celica with ground effects. When the new type-r RSX is avaible is the U.S. they will control the imports as the hottest new car, if toyota doesnt release a newer version of the supra, 300 they will loose their car seen.

Just a thought:bloated:

Morpheus XIII
08-16-2001, 09:08 AM
I don't think any automaker in the U.S. has really been able to take the sports compact spotlight away from Honda--yet. But everyone is tearing into their territory like vultures hungry for fresh meat that needs to be shared. TalonBoy, you are right about the fuel efficiency factor; the economic benefits of sport compacts will play massive roles in the upcoming years.

I do not believe Honda is going to be able to 'own' the sports compact field for much longer. Of course, I am speaking primarily for the States (elsewhere, they never even achieved that title). And just look at us: Ford's Focus is taking a bite out of Honda, and like you said, Toyota's Celica punches away as well.

However, I don't feel that a Supra or its successor will be in any way involved with this sector of the market. Who ever really though that a Supra was classified as a sport compact? No, these things are beastly gas guzzling monsters as well, and grand tourers at that. While on the topic of the successor, estimated costs of the GTxxxx could be closer to six-figures than we think. Toyota may be thinking, 'away from sports car, onwards to exotica...'

F20C
08-24-2001, 09:35 PM
Too much speculations about the next Supra. It is known that next Supra will be based off Soarer/ SC430. Engine choices includes 4.3L V8, 4.5L V8 and 5.0L V12 in the Century. Toyota needs a lot more hp than 400 to be Viper chasing. Next Viper is a 500hp, 500 torque and 500 cubic inch monster. The next C6 is supposing to have a base hp of 450.

Jay!
08-24-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by F20C
Too much speculations about the next Supra. It is known that next Supra will be based off Soarer/ SC430. Engine choices includes 4.3L V8, 4.5L V8 and 5.0L V12 in the Century. Toyota needs a lot more hp than 400 to be Viper chasing. Next Viper is a 500hp, 500 torque and 500 cubic inch monster. The next C6 is supposing to have a base hp of 450.
So do you guys think the japanese I6s will fall to the wayside? If both Toyota and Nissan move away from I6s in their top GT cars, what will be left? Will the japanese V8s be the tuner's dream like the I6s were (are)? Hmmm...

F20C
08-24-2001, 09:50 PM
inline 6 are incredible smooth engines. It would be sad to see them take that away. They should built a 6 Cylinder model to get back some of the R&D money.

Morpheus XIII
08-25-2001, 01:00 AM
So we know Toyota is burning the midnight oil for a furious upscale GT. Many are saying that it will be labeled alphanumerically in the 4500GT sense (maybe not those exact numbers) reflecting the famed Toyota 2000GT Bond car. But what about the name Supra? Will it just end there? Some periodicals suggest that Toyota is not replacing the Supra with this exclusive GT. They are simply adding it to their lineup. They speculate that the Supra will continue on, redesigned, sitting in the same market spotlight where it has been, between sport compacts and sport exotics (between the Celica and the GT-whatever). Maybe here we will see the inline-6s continue on.

F20C
08-25-2001, 01:30 AM
Naming it alphanumerically tells you it will be Lexus badged. The price will probaly be not within reach of working class people.

Jay!
08-25-2001, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by F20C
Naming it alphanumerically tells you it will be Lexus badged. The price will probaly be not within reach of working class people.
I don't know. All Lexus are rebadged Toyotas that have "word" names in the japanese market. The speculation is that even the Toyota car will have the alphanumeric name. The only alphanumeric Toyota in recent history is the MR2. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Do you see what I mean?

F20C
08-25-2001, 01:45 AM
Yes I do see your point. The same way Infiniti Q45 is a Nissan Cima. Anyhow that's because Lexus etc doesn't exsist in Japan. It only exsist in America because people there are image cautious. That's why Japanese manufacture have Acura, Lexus and Infiniti sub-divisions. Domestic have Cadillac and Lincoln etc. You can't advertise a 50K+ car in a brand known for economy cars.

Jay!
08-25-2001, 01:51 AM
I just meant to say that the price is a better argument for it coming to America as a Lexus instead of a Toyota rather than the name. It must be getting late... :bloated:

Morpheus XIII
08-26-2001, 08:37 AM
I don't think he's getting what you are saying. REGARDLESS of whether it will be classed under the Lexus placard, or Toyota nameplate, this new GT will (most likely) be with an alphanumeric name, and marked with astronomical pricing. And furthermore, I don't think that Toyota wants this car to be easily accessible to all consumers. It's more of a "this is what we can do" production auto to step beyond the NSX. If the GT does come ashore, I don't think Lexus would want its prestigious lineup plagued with a brute, uncomfortable racer since ALL of their cars are known to be pampering luxo-cruisers; therefore it would probably be fit into the upper niche of the Toyota selection--especially now that their TRD name is becoming much more publicized to the general public.

I don't care if I cannot afford this car, and it would just be nice to know that it exists. Would people want Toyota's next flagship sports car to be a cheap low grade model? And as for ones that we can afford like the 93+ Supra, there is still the possibility of a competetively priced mid-range Supra successor...

TRDsupraTT
10-09-2001, 03:38 AM
I don't know if anyone has this (http://www.mkiv.com/readersrides/of_interest/the_new_supra/) yet...terribly sorry if this is a repost. But it doesn't look that nice anymore.

Morpheus XIII
10-09-2001, 05:26 AM
Another computer generated image, hmm? I've quit wasting my time thinking about what it could look like--I trust that Toyota will do a fine job with the exterior design.

On another note, more recent (November) automotive publications are stating that Toyota has finally decided AGAINST the 4.3L V-8 used in so many different models in their lineup, and WILL go forth with a 5.0L V-12 (mid-engine placement is still uncertain), thereby code-naming the concept, 5000GT or GT5000 (as we all had hoped). The whole project is also set up to coincide with Toyota's upcoming Formula One movement (best wishes to McNish) next year. With such a lofty position on the automotive ladder, there seems to be plenty of market space for a less expensive, V-6 powered sports car, correct? Perhaps Toyota is gearing up to release two new go-fast products in the not-so-distant future.

NSX: Still just a V-6 in the upcoming facelift, with a promise of only a V-8 in the next full redesign? Beware.

eminem
10-10-2001, 01:13 AM
I am waitting

For the new TOYOTA Supra TT 400hp V8 and i hope its true cause it will beat the GTR skyline SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
but the mk5 in mkiv.com that will look so bad for supra and i hope that they make it better look.

by the way that dosen't mean that i heat GTR Sky line :smoker2:

Morpheus XIII
10-13-2001, 04:10 AM
Okay.

SalKhan
10-21-2001, 01:29 AM
Goodness... TT V8 better put out more than 400!! :D :)

Originally posted by eminem
I am waitting
For the new TOYOTA Supra TT 400hp V8 and i hope its true cause it will beat the GTR skyline SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
but the mk5 in mkiv.com that will look so bad for supra and i hope that they make it better look.
by the way that dosen't mean that i heat GTR Sky line :smoker2:

MR Yasir
10-28-2001, 11:39 PM
The 5000gt will be the most expensive toyota ever made. It's going to be close to 100k and will take the likes of the 360 and the NSX. It'll probably be sold as a lexus in the US. The name 5000gt is to state that the car is an evolution of the 2000gt as stated earlier.

Toyota still has not stated their plans for a supra in the future.

F20C
11-09-2001, 08:20 PM
Next NSX will be amazing nevertheless. It will burrow heavily from the Honda DualNote concept car. Although it's only a V6 at the back people forget there could be a 3 in line eletric engine at front.

Toyota only said they will produce a V12 supercar to celebrate entry into F1.

Morpheus XIII
11-13-2001, 06:06 AM
I could be wrong, since I don't track the NSX much at all, but most sources are agreeing that the next NSX update be primarily cosmetic, maintaining the same V-6, with a planned ground-up redesign several years from now and more cylinders coming then.

THE GREAT BEAST
09-20-2003, 10:23 PM
I dont know if this was mentioned or not. Or if there was a slight information of it mentioned, there will definitly be a MKV they will be availible late 2004 or early 2005. There are two engine options which are a V6 and a V8 no turbos for both however to keep the prices low. TRD however will have superchargers avalible right when they come out.

This info was given from Curt Aigner head of the parts dept at toyota of toyota illinois (dont remember the city thogh) and the thread that it was on was from supraforums, ill get it and post it once the site is back up.

Add your comment to this topic!