Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 LeSabre

peshi03
04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
hey guys,

i have a 1990 Buick LeSabre Presidential that has 142,000 miles on her. the problem is that when i start it i hear a slight rapping or knocking. it is on the water pump side of the engine. but when it idles i also hear the knocking, but revving the engine it dissapears. also when i put it on gear it does not make noise. it is a 3.8 litre.

thanks alot,
peshi :iceslolan

tman
04-24-2004, 12:16 PM
It seems once these engines hit 135000 or so, that they start tapping.

This is because the lifters become dry. If your det set on fixing it, here you go:

first, buy some WD-40, some spray can brake cleaner(best if it has a wd-40 style nozzle) new valvecover gaskets, and enough oil to flush the engine.

Take off your valve covers. Look at the lifters, there are 6 on each head of the engine(2V per cyl.) you'll see the rocker itself, and to circular metal donuts on each side. shove a lint free rag in any hole that is exposed to the engines interior. ise the WD-40 and brake cleaner to try to free up these "donuts". The problem it that the donuts are sticking, so try to get them unstuck. You might not get some, so dont worry. use a shop vac or a lot of rags to suck up all the excess wd-40 and brake cleaner in the valvetrain. remove your rags from the holes, and dump some new oil over the lifters. replace your valvecovers with new gaskets, and tourque to 88 inch pounds. Flush your engine oil, and change the filter, and fire it up!

peshi03
04-24-2004, 02:42 PM
thank you t-man so much, i am going to do it sooner or later. i am getting my license this week so me and my dad will work on it. these are pretty nice first timer cars! espicalley the presidential version! again thanks alot..... :iceslolan

peshi

Add your comment to this topic!