Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making Type R horsepower

CVTodd1
04-23-2004, 06:23 PM
If I had a JDM Type R motor swapped in, what is a good way to make good substantial horsepower? I know cams, and upgreaded intake is good, but what else is good to do? I plan on staying N/A, so any info would be useful. Thanks.

Todd

IntegraB16
04-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Port and polished head, good exhaust, better intake manifold and throttle body, better ignition, totally re-do the valves and springs the whole set up, upgraded pistons and rods for higher compression and more duribility, blue print the engine and mirror the cylinder walls, mill the head and slap on a better head gasket. The list goes on and on. You get the point.

IntegraB16
04-23-2004, 07:13 PM
O'yeah, you are definately going to want to upgrade the entire fuel system if do some of that stuff.

CVTodd1
04-23-2004, 07:41 PM
right on, do you recomend any specific intake manifold to upgrade to? also, approx. how much to P/P the head? Thanks alot for the info.

hcar
04-26-2004, 12:35 PM
right on, do you recomend any specific intake manifold to upgrade to? also, approx. how much to P/P the head? Thanks alot for the info.
TWM Induction ITB kit
www.twminduction.com

edman24
04-26-2004, 02:31 PM
TWM Induction ITB kit
www.twminduction.com

yah thats a cool kit but for those of us who cant afford that thing then go for the victorx jg edelbrock manifold.. flows the best of all aftermarket manifolds and is proven on the dyno. ive seen it myself

hcar
04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
yah thats a cool kit but for those of us who cant afford that thing then go for the victorx jg edelbrock manifold.. flows the best of all aftermarket manifolds and is proven on the dyno. ive seen it myself
Just trying to keep all informed about the ITB kits that are now putting ALL MOTOR cars in the NINES

CVTodd1
04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Right on, thanks for the info...I saw that TWMINDUCTION site, they have some pretty cool products, they're high priced, but I'm sure they're well worth it. How difficult is it to swap out an intake manifold? I'm sure not all of these are smog legal, especially in Cali... I don't mind doing some work and swapping stuff out every so often, but I don't know how difficult it is, so if anyone has any experience on this please let me know. Thanks alot.

Todd

jcrx
04-26-2004, 04:32 PM
1) higher compression pistons, thinner head gasket.

2) Don't bother polishing the head, Honda already did it

3) The intake manifold is fine, Type R's are the design others copy. Only the AEBS makes more power. The JG is only good if your boosting or revving to 9500 + all the time, it has 0 midrange gains, and that's where you spend more time.

4) you only need to upgrade the Honda ignition system when you start getting crazy.

Just trying to keep all informed about the ITB kits that are now putting ALL MOTOR cars in the NINES
Sorry dude, there's only a couple all motor Civics in the 9's, and they aren't running Todas, do people just make this shit up?

hcar
04-26-2004, 04:48 PM
1) higher compression pistons, thinner head gasket.

2) Don't bother polishing the head, Honda already did it

3) The intake manifold is fine, Type R's are the design others copy. Only the AEBS makes more power. The JG is only good if your boosting or revving to 9500 + all the time, it has 0 midrange gains, and that's where you spend more time.

4) you only need to upgrade the Honda ignition system when you start getting crazy.

Sorry dude, there's only a couple all motor Civics in the 9's, and they aren't running Todas, do people just make this shit up?
SORRY dude have you heard of Leslie Durst doing the nines?
L'Natural is heading there as his car is getting worked out.
These aren't Todas there TWM Induction ITB kits

jajimo
04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeh but Leslie Durst is running a hell of a lot more than just a TWM induction kit.

Ricochet
04-26-2004, 07:54 PM
If I had a JDM Type R motor swapped in, what is a good way to make good substantial horsepower? I know cams, and upgreaded intake is good, but what else is good to do? I plan on staying N/A, so any info would be useful. Thanks.

Todd
You may as well just get an Si motor if you're going to be swapping out all the guts. I mean, would you rather swap out cheap or really expensive parts for aftermarket shit and still be just as fast? B16B's are going for like $4,000, B16A2's can be bought for 2/3 (or less than) that.

jcrx
04-26-2004, 10:39 PM
SORRY dude have you heard of Leslie Durst doing the nines?
L'Natural is heading there as his car is getting worked out.
These aren't Todas there TWM Induction ITB kits
Don't know why I was thinking Toda ITBs, but none the less, there is a LOT, a whole LOT more to running in the nines than ITBs, that's not even going to tip the scales against hte rest of the build required.

hcar
04-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Don't know why I was thinking Toda ITBs, but none the less, there is a LOT, a whole LOT more to running in the nines than ITBs, that's not even going to tip the scales against hte rest of the build required.
True, but it's part of the puzzle that gets you there!!

CVTodd1
04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
You may as well just get an Si motor if you're going to be swapping out all the guts. I mean, would you rather swap out cheap or really expensive parts for aftermarket shit and still be just as fast? B16B's are going for like $4,000, B16A2's can be bought for 2/3 (or less than) that.

I don't know, I just find the type r motor appealing, for the amount of H/P you get, and they're damn quick. I don't mind spending the extra money thou, how could an si motor be built up as quick as a type r motor?

jcrx
04-27-2004, 12:12 PM
You can build a D series motor to be faster if you wanted. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IntegraB16
04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I think were all starting to stray away from the original question. He just wants to know how to go fast and thinks that the Type-R is a good motor, naturally because of how much HP it comes with stock. So.. lets start tossing some numbers around.. Type-R comes with 200HP and they cost around $5,000. Atleast where I live. Your run of the mill LS motors come with about 140 HP and you can probably pick one up for $1,000 or less. I will sell mine for $500 with tranny. Anyway, you are practically paying $4,000 dollars for about 60 HP. I know that the Type-R motors are probably built better but for $4,000 I can put that in an LS engine and make A LOT more HP and TQ that what a type-R has. Thats just how I think.. I have heard that the B20 it the best for boosting and making a lot of TQ. I could be wrong. But it seems to me that if you really want to make a lot of power and spend less money I would just buy a B20 or B18, Upgrade all the internals and the head so i can rev up to about 9500 then boost it. I'm sure it would have a lot more power than a Type-R and cost a lot less. Plus the type-R is built so well from stock it really takes a lot of money to buy parts that are better than what is in it to begin with. But thats just how i see things.

edman24
04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I think were all starting to stray away from the original question. He just wants to know how to go fast and thinks that the Type-R is a good motor, naturally because of how much HP it comes with stock. So.. lets start tossing some numbers around.. Type-R comes with 200HP and they cost around $5,000. Atleast where I live. Your run of the mill LS motors come with about 140 HP and you can probably pick one up for $1,000 or less. I will sell mine for $500 with tranny. Anyway, you are practically paying $4,000 dollars for about 60 HP. I know that the Type-R motors are probably built better but for $4,000 I can put that in an LS engine and make A LOT more HP and TQ that what a type-R has. Thats just how I think.. I have heard that the B20 it the best for boosting and making a lot of TQ. I could be wrong. But it seems to me that if you really want to make a lot of power and spend less money I would just buy a B20 or B18, Upgrade all the internals and the head so i can rev up to about 9500 then boost it. I'm sure it would have a lot more power than a Type-R and cost a lot less. Plus the type-R is built so well from stock it really takes a lot of money to buy parts that are better than what is in it to begin with. But thats just how i see things.

you are absolutely correct, but there is more to it. for a daily driven car, i would much rather have a type r motor over a built ls turbo. also, if you are a fan of NA tuning (which i am) then you wont consider the ls turbo as an option. but if overall speed and a tight budget are what youre after, then you cant beat ls turbo. b20 is good too but the cylinder walls are so thin they will blow a lot faster.

also about a b16 being faster than a type r motor. yes it is possible. but you porbably wont be maintaining the 1.6 liter displacement. everyone needs to understand that all b series motors are made out of the same exact block and head. the difference is the bore, and the way the head is worked. so any b series motor can be made fast. some just cost more than others.

CVTodd1
04-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah, if I planned on boosting, (which I would love to) I would go with the LS motor, or a B20, or even a gsr motor, if I had the money for it, but I plan on staying N/A, and it will be a daily driver. I know if you boost your car right, it can stay pretty reliable for a daily driver, but I would rather do that in the future. The price of the Type R motor is a drag though, I know B16's are quick, my friend has one in his hatch, with decent tires, intake, short shifter, and he ran mid 14's, so they're quick. I will contenplate the idea of a B16, but the B18's are still a consideration. Thanks for the idea's.

Todd

jcrx
04-27-2004, 10:35 PM
everyone needs to understand that all b series motors are made out of the same exact block and head. the difference is the bore, and the way the head is worked. so any b series motor can be made fast. some just cost more than others.
No, they are not.

The B16A has the same head as the ITR/CTR, but, a smaller block, not just displacement, but physically a shorter deck height. Thay all have different cams, except the ITR/CTR exhaust, and the 01 intake.

The GSR has different shaped combustion chambers, different cams, different bolt pattern on the IM.

The difference isn't the bore, all B series are the same 81mm bore, except the CRV which is 84mm, the difference there are the rod lengths.

edman24
04-27-2004, 11:26 PM
No, they are not.

The B16A has the same head as the ITR/CTR, but, a smaller block, not just displacement, but physically a shorter deck height. Thay all have different cams, except the ITR/CTR exhaust, and the 01 intake.

The GSR has different shaped combustion chambers, different cams, different bolt pattern on the IM.

The difference isn't the bore, all B series are the same 81mm bore, except the CRV which is 84mm, the difference there are the rod lengths.

ok ok so you want to get that technical? my point was to reinforce the fact that all these motors have essentially the same potential. i knew the cams were different because that was part of what i meant when i said the heads are worked differently. and that also includes the fact that the gsr head has a lower dome in the combustion chamber placing the actual combustion lower in the cylinder and raising compression. to be honest the only thing i missed with the oversimplification i made of the b-series is the fact the b16 has a lower deck height. that i will admit i did not know but thanks for filling me in. and isnt the difference between an 81mm piston, and 84 mm piston mean that there is a difference in bore? :eek7:

edman24
04-27-2004, 11:30 PM
oh yah and to keep adding to the b series info were spitting here, the type r motors have different valve springs then the rest, and the ctr motor has moly impregnated internals. also the gsr motor is the only one with a dual stage manifold which is why the bolt pattern is different. and just because the b16 has a lower deck height does not mean it is not cut out of the same block. it merely has been decked lower than the others. oh and cant forget the valve covers. type r motors have red ones. :rofl:

is there anything else i have missed?

Ricochet
04-28-2004, 11:32 PM
my friend has one in his hatch, with decent tires, intake, short shifter, and he ran mid 14's, so they're quick.
I ran a 14.9@92mph on steelies with shitty tires so yeah that sounds about right. With a grippy clutch, drags, and a nice suspension, low 14's are very possible. That's about what the newer, stock 4.6 gt's are running around my area.

jcrx
04-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Yes, the first and second gen B16as have different thermostat housings, and the GSRs block girdle. Also the oil squirters on the vtec models. :P

The way it sound on your original post was almost that the difference is bore indicated that they didn't all have the same bore, but instead it was determined by displacement. Maybe I read too much into it, but if I could, than someone else could too.

edman24
04-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Yes, the first and second gen B16as have different thermostat housings, and the GSRs block girdle. Also the oil squirters on the vtec models. :P

The way it sound on your original post was almost that the difference is bore indicated that they didn't all have the same bore, but instead it was determined by displacement. Maybe I read too much into it, but if I could, than someone else could too.

no problem, i understand i was a little too vague. im just glad there are more people on here now that know what theyre talking about

ProjectCivic
06-10-2004, 09:01 PM
right on

Ricochet
06-10-2004, 09:27 PM
You bring back an old ass thread to say right on?

XixGenuinexiX
06-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Hahahaha ^^

tran_nsx
06-10-2004, 11:13 PM
You bring back an old ass thread to say right on?

:werd: still funny though.

Add your comment to this topic!