Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

probs w/ new head unit and factory amp

barmanvarn
04-23-2004, 01:27 PM
So, I installed a new pioneed head unit in my '01 Yukon. After the installation, sometimes I would get sound from the speakers and sometimes not. The EQ on the stereo showed that the unit was receiving audio input, but nothing was coming from the speakers.

After talking to several car audio install guys, I was told that the amplified signal coming from my new head unit was causing the factory amp to shut down (go into safe mode). It was suggest that I basically rewire the speakers so that the audio bypasses the facory amp.

Has anyone else run into this problem? How did you resolve it?

thanks

barmanvarn
04-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Just in case anyone is interested, I was able to resolve the problem.

First, I was able to remove the factory amp. It took some elbow grease but I finally got it done. Next, I used the wiring harness that I had purchased to go from the new stereo to the vehicles factory harness. I kept all the wiring the same, except for the speaker wires. Using 16-guage speaker wire, I attached about a 3 foot section of wire to each speaker lead in the new harness. I ran these wires behing the dash and over to where the amp used to be. Then, all I did was join my harness speaker wires in the existing harness that had been plugged into the amp (this way, I can restore everything to stock if ever needed).

I happy to say that the new stereo sounds great and is working fine.

BTW, this did cause the rear factory sub to not work. I have to do some investiagation as to what color wires it is using. My new head unit has RCA outs for a sub, so I'll just use them w/ an amp I have lying around.

tdsmall
07-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Just bought a 01 Yukon XL, my truck is doing the same thing only I didnt change the head unit, all I had done was add 2-8" subs and a amp to power them. It worked fine for about 2 weeks now suddenly I get no sound through the speakers, I took it by the installers and they unhooked there install and after starting truck got the sound back, drove it home and to work the next morning and everything was fine, when I left work guess what NO sound and this is with the subs & amp still unhooked. Installer is suppose to run a diag. on it this afternoon. Also this weekend I turned the switch on to play the radio, left it on for about 10 minutes and when I went back to crank the truck all it did was click like the battery was dead. I waited about another 15 or 20 minutes for someone to jump me and then suddenly truck cranked right up no problem. Dont have any knowledge of electrical system so any ideas would be great.

Add your comment to this topic!