Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 isuzu rodeo

ldetterline
04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
hello, I'm new. I just bought a 1991 isuzu rodeo TODAY, it has 146,000 miles. I test drove it (practicly on empty) although it was only down the street, nothing major went wrong. Bought it, filled it up and on my way home (about 15miles) I was comming to a light and it acted as if it were going to die on me(no lights came on). I got home and let it sit for about 2hrs. I left again, got only 5miles down the road and when I went to accelerate from the stop light it completely died. Drove a few more miles with no problems but the check engine light came on and stayed. I also made it back home with no problems (about 10miles)

The dealership I bought it from said they have put new breaks, tires, wires, hoses, oil change on it. I have a guy comming to look over the entire vehicle tomorrow for the price of $60. (yeah, found out hes old buddies with the guy that sold it to me...isnt that just GRAND for me!)

I don't know where to take this, I'm in nebraska and very new. I dont know anyone here, although I do know a great deal about car problems and how to fix my own (considering I'm female..lol) but i've never had an isuzu.

Can anyone tell me what all I can do myself? or things to ask this guy tomorrow?

SHOULD I TAKE IT BACK???
thankyou for any replies you can give me, Lynn

ldetterline
04-23-2004, 02:23 PM
does anyone know what could be causing this rodeo to just die at a low speed?? i was thinking maybe just the fuel injecters needing cleaned, please resond if oyu have ANY, any at all, options for me to look for. thankyou, Lynn

amigo-2k
04-23-2004, 03:33 PM
could be Fuel filter is clogged,

bad plug wires, plugs, fuel injectors..

or a fuel pump on the way out.

If you get the Codes read from the CEL it will help to figure out what the problem is.

-Ryan

ldetterline
04-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Thankyou so much Ryan, I am going to have the codes checked, they said they had put new wires, and plugs on it, Someone told me to fill the tank and add 2 bottels of fuel injecter cleaner and 2 bottles of heat. I'm not so sure about 2 bottles of each, maybe just one. well, thankyou for your advice, its well appreiated. Lynn

Ramblin Fever
04-26-2004, 10:34 AM
brake lights??

I currently have a 97 Rodeo, however, I also had a 91 V6 Rodeo as well. I traded that truck in at 150K for a dodge diesel, but not because of any actual problems. I traded it because it didn't have the extra power my 97 has for pulling the boat, and it made a good downpayment.

Aside from that, at trade in, the rodeo still had it's original timing chain, something I knew at that time was going to need to be replaced soon. Truck had been idling weird, acting like it was going to die whenever RPM's were at or near idle.

I don't recall my CEL (check engine light) ever coming on, however, I do remember the manuel saying that the chain and water pump should be changed at 100K. I would definitely contact the dealer and ask if they had done that, or no if the previous owner did. If not, I would think about having that checked out.

ldetterline
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Thankyou very much Ramblin Fever. LISTEN TO THIS (this is what you get for being a woman, people think I know NOTHING..lol)

I took it back, they said they would fix it. They did NOT want me to return it. So they said they have already ordered the parts for it and what went wrong on it is this?!..."fuel sensor and oil sensor", yeah, ummm...I just dont think so!! I got under it to take a look and it ALMOST litterally pouring out transmission fliud and oil, its completely covered. so, my husband just left to go return it, hmm...for some odd reason they have NO PROBLEM what so ever on taking it back. Thankyou for you help, Lynn

Tony Silva
06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
An engine dieing while coming to a stop would lead me to first suspect that the egr valve is not closing or that it is closing too slowley. Engine vacuum opens the valve and with low engine vacuum, the egr has a spring in it forcing it to close. Carbon build -up on the egr diaphrams shaft will cause it to close too slowely or to not completely close.

*I know this is an older thread, I'm just posting from my experience with this kind of problem to help out any owners that may have this same stalling issue.

Add your comment to this topic!