Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does the gas station attendant know you by name too??

astro99
04-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm having a problem with my 99 LT astro passenger van that I hope someone may have a solution for. It seems to be sucking up fuel like a sailor on leave. When I first got this van (55k miles) although it ran like a dream, at 11mpg (city) the trips to the gas station were putting me in the poor house. Although I haven't had the idle checked by a mechanic it does seem to be idling properly. I did a few routine checks including a new air filter and bringing the tires up to max pressure, I even removed the back seats lowering the vehicle weight by at least 100+ pounds, all of which brought my mpg to a whopping 15 (13 city and 16 hwy). I've read many posts on other sights from owners who routinely advertise that their vans are getting at least 17-20 and in some cases as high as 24 (although I don't think that mileage over 22 for a vehicle this size could be right and suspect they're not doing the math correctly). The problem with using posts to determine the proper mpg is that there are many different versions of the astro and this is rarely mentioned by the postors (ie. fuel injector vs. carb, awd LS passenger, awd LT cargo, awd cargo, rwd LS passenger, rwd LT passenger, rwd cargo etc.). My vehicle is a 99 LT rwd. I specifically chose the rear wheel drive model since it was supposed to be more fuel efficient than the all wheel drive (by at least 2-3 mpg) but am finding this not to be the case. My question is does anyone know of any common (or not so common)problems that would increase fuel consumption? I would love to know exactly what mpg other owners are getting in their astros if you'd like to share! If this mileage is consistant with other similiar models I guess I'll just have to live with it and get a second job. THANKS

randolf
05-11-2004, 12:01 AM
I'm with you on this one, my mileage isn't any better than 15-16 at most, the specs posted for fuel mileage are 16 and 20. I'd love any tips any one has too.

Geeeze
05-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I have a 2000 Astro 2WD and have been very pleased with the fuel economy. I usually get 20 to 22 MPG on the highway based on the trip computer in the overhead console. I don't do much city driving, but the lowest average I've seen on a full tank of gas is about 19.

If you have a towing package you may have a higher ratio differential which will reduce your mileage.

helitiminaz
05-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Mine is averaging 14MPG. Range is 8.7 to 17.7MPG. I pull a heavy pop up occasionally and it struggles up hills (45MPH in 2nd gear, my 8MPG records). City mileage is bad to. We bought an Elantra to save some $$. One of my records show 21MPG. I don't remember how that could have happened. This Astro has the heavy duty trailer package (largest axle ratio, tow button).

Tim

1996astrovanAWDLT
07-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I just purchased a 1996 Astro LT AWD and the first tank full I averaged 13 MPG. I haven't done anything to it yet but plan on checking plugs and installing a K&N air filter to see if I can boost the mileage.

mca2156
08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a 94 Astro AWD vortec that originally got 19 mpg. It dropped to 15 about a year ago. Someone suggested I replace the TPS (throttle positioning sensor), which I did. My milage is now back up to 19. There was no indication that there was anything wrong with the TPS, the van ran fine and passed emissions fine. No service codes came up for it, but changing definitly fixed the milage problem. My son's got a 90 AWD with a throttle body, same problem, same solution.

gunzip
10-04-2004, 07:54 PM
i run about 21 mpg on my 93-4.3 hiway 85% of the time 185k

SeaBuzz
10-24-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a 2001 getting 16mpg. This TPS, is it an easy replace ?? What's the $$$$ of the part ??? Do you think it's worth replacing just for the H of it ??

Add your comment to this topic!