Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem on windy days

lkathyf
04-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been having trouble controlling the car during 35 MPH or higher winds. I have to constantly fight for control. GM tells me that it has to do with design and live with it. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, I would really like to hear from you. I live on a country road and find myself having to constantly correct the steering.

tman
04-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Maybe your alignments off. Drive down the interstate, or a long straight road, and hold the steering wheel completely straight. If the car doesnt go straight, then you need an alignment.

lkathyf
04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
The dealer checked and corrected the alignment. But, I still have the same trouble with the steering and wind. The dealer has also checked the suspension system, the answer to that was that the car is performing as designed. I drove over a bridge on a windy day and almost lost control of the car. Needless to say, the episode scared me. I don't know what to do now. The car scares me.

tman
04-23-2004, 06:12 AM
Dang, thats terrible, I know on really windy days,mine will push a little, but not so much as to lose control.

I suggest you PM Flatrater

911S_TARGA_RSR
04-23-2004, 06:24 AM
I would reccomend that you first check that your tires are inflated correctly. There are three things that you can do that will fix this problem:

#1 Bigger/Wider tires
This would allow for a wider stance and more rubber in contact with the road which in turn would stablize your car.

#2 Lower your car
Lowering your car will make it have less of a drag and not be as prone to being influenced by wind. Look at the Explorer and similar SUVs they have horrible wind problems. This can be used in conjunction with #1 and #3.

#3 Better Tires
Check the current type of tires that are on your vehicle. I would bet that they are even below T rated tires. Investigate T or even H rated tires. They allow for a different type of tread on the tires and provide more control and balence for your car. This can also be used in conjunction with #1 or #1 and #2.

I hope this helps.

lkathyf
05-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I want to thank you for the suggestion about replacing the tires. But, I just bought the car in Feb. and it only has 1900 miles on it. It's hard for me to believe that I should have to replace the tires on a new car. Just doesn't seem right
somehow. Shouldn't the proper tires already be on the car? The whole situation just upsets me.

creslevi
05-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Hi Kathy
If I were you I would find a Front end alighment shop you trust and get the alignment checked, If its a front wheel drive there is something called a thrust alighnment where they align all four wheels to make sure both axles are tracking, Are you sure it was'nt previouly wrecked ??.
With only 1700 miles on it there is definitely something wrong, You say you live on a country road, is it paved ?, and does it act the same on the interstate ?.
Just a couple thoughts I hope they are helpful in some way, Good Luck
Rick

lkathyf
05-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. My car is a brand new 2004 model purchased in Feb. . That is why only 1900 miles. As soon as I noticed the problem I took it into the dealership. The first time they checked the suspension. According to them it was running to design. The second visit to the dealership they checked and adjusted the alignment. They state that they have test driven it (but we don't know under what conditions) and according to them it runs to design. All I know, is that the problem of losing control under windy conditions hasn't happened to just me. It has also happened to my husband. Plus, I have had people in the car with me when it has happened who noticed the problem. GM states that the car runs to design and live with it. At this point the car has been sitting in my driveway for a month now undriven. It scares me. Both my husband and I have had years of driving experience and we have owned many different types of cars. This has never happened before with any other vehicle. I just don't know where to go from here. Oh, and by the way, yes our road is paved. It was on an interstate at 65 mph that we first noticed the problem. Then on an interstate, coming down off of a bridge on a windy day was when I had the worse experience with fighting for control.

creslevi
05-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi Kathy
Thanks for taking the time to respond in some Detail, I don't blame you for being frustrated, For any dealer to tell you to live with it is outrageous, You don't say but I assume you are talking about a Buick ?.

I think at this point you should contact the manufacturer consumer complaint department, and look for a new dealer, any dealer worth their salt would bend every effort to make you a satisfied customer, and if they don't go over their heads to the manufacturer, Also you can look at the Lemon laws for whatever state you are in.
You can also check online for complaints, Good luck you definitely should'nt have to live with a new car you are afraid to drive !.
Rick

lkathyf
05-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes, I am talking about a 2004 Buick LeSabre. I'm sorry that I made the dealer out worse then they are. They have tried to deal with GM about my problem but have been unsuccessful. GM just states that it is running to design. The dealer has made us an offer, but, I don't think you would like it either. They offered to exchange our car with some added money for a cheaper car. We turned them down. We have checked into the lemon laws. Right now we are dealing with the BBB. The next step, I guess, will be a lawyer. Believe it or not, the dealership told me that riding in a Buick LeSabre was like riding on pillows (yes, that was his term) and I probably just wasn't use to handling such a sensitive car. RIGHT!!!!!
Trying to find out if anyone else has had this problem is how I discovered this Forum. I just can't believe that I am the only one.

creslevi
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
My goodness what were you driving before A Tractor !?, they must think so, Try Yahoo Search for the National highway transportation safety commision (NHTSC) at least I think you will find a place to complain and file a complaint, before going to an attorney, I looked but could not find anything on handling, My 94 Lesabre has 209,000 miles on it and handles like a dream, that's not to say I can't feel the wind on a windy day I do but never feel like I am losing control, and I don't think you should either, Just remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease, Is this your first Buick ?. I wish I could be more helpful, Best of luck to you.
Rick

Ps
Please let me know how it turns out, Not knowing your age I wonder if they think you are just old and afraid of it !. I am 70 and they better not tell me that, What kind of tires are on it ?. They can sure cause handling problems, Remember the Ford/Firestone fiasco a couple years ago !.

lkathyf
05-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Thank you for all the info. I will check with the National Highway Transportation Safety Commission as you suggested.We are waiting to hear from the BBB before we do anything else. I, also, would rather not have to go the lawyer route. But, I also can't afford a brand new car as a lawn ornament.
I will have to check as to the size of the tires. They are the ones that came on the car.
No, this isn't my first Buick. I owned a Buick Riviera several cars back. I loved it.
I will keep you informed.

jase386
05-11-2004, 11:47 AM
what kind of cars were you driving before the 04 lesabre? if youre used to a tighter ride, it may take some getting used to the lesabre's more than soft ride. weved owned 2 lesabres and i now own a regal, and they all drive like a dream, but i like the soft floaty ride. i also have an 89 towncar that uses a little extra work when driving in windy conditions due to the overly soft suspension, and the sides of the car being tall, and flat...much like the 04 lesabre. they are bad to catch a side wind, but nothing that would ever make me feel i was loosing control of my vehicle.

lkathyf
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I have driven many kinds of cars. I have owned and driven a Buick Riviera, Mercury Sable, Lincoln Continental, Chrysler Concorde, Ford Falcon, Mercury Cougar, they are the ones I remember. As you can see, I have owned and driven a variety of makes and models. In none of the cars I have ever driven or owned have I felt that I was losing control as I did in this one. I was "very" lucky, when I was trying to regain control of the car, that there wasn't anyone close to me on the highway. If there had been, there might not have been a "safe" ending.

lkathyf
06-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Just wanted you to know that we WON with the BBB!!! Buy-back!! What a relief!! The arbitrator and the BBB expert agreed on every point of our complaint. Thanks for your support.

BritBuick
06-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Well done! I just noticed this thread after your last post as I am new here. I have a 97 LeSabre and yeah it is a "floaty" ride, but I don't feel any different driving that on a windy day than any other car I have driven. I have also driven my boss' Park Avenue of about the same age, and it's just as good in wind.

Hope this hasn't put you off further Buicks. Maybe look into a year old LeSabre and pocket the rest of the cash. By getting a different year you would be 100% certain to avoid a repeat of what could be a Friday afternoon batch.

tman
06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry this happened, please don't hold this against Buick. All manufacturers inadvertantly sell lemons, and unfortunatly, you ended up with one. Please, test drive another, and make sure its a windy day ;)

lkathyf
06-22-2004, 11:53 PM
It hasn't turned us off of Buick's. We have been talking to the dealer about moving up to a Park Avenue. It seems to hug the road better (especially in comparison to OUR "LeSabre"). But, so far, unsuccessful. Believe me - the next time I want to test drive under ALL CONDITIONS!!!!! Thanks for your help and advice.

BritBuick
06-23-2004, 09:07 AM
I found my boss' Park Avenue drove almost identical to my LeSabre. Maybe it rode a tad lower, but that can cause problems as often as it avoids them, such as going over mounds in the pavement (driveways, parking lot entrances etc).

In fact a Limited LeSabre has almost all the bells and whistles of a standard Park Avenue. Just a little more "compact", if ever that can be used to describe a ride in which I, at 6'5, have to move the seat FORWARD. :grinno:

creslevi
06-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi Kathy
Good for you, And thank you for being thoughtful enough to post an update here for all of us.
Rick

tman
06-23-2004, 06:14 PM
I don't have any problem getting into driveways and the like, and I drive a Park Avenue.

lkathyf
06-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I just can't believe we are going through this again so soon - car shopping that is. We are looking at Park Avenue's but I will keep the Limited LeSabre in mind. Believe me, this time I will take them up on their "weekend trial" offer instead of just the drive around the block.

sallisonbrown
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I just can't believe we are going through this again so soon - car shopping that is. We are looking at Park Avenue's but I will keep the Limited LeSabre in mind. Believe me, this time I will take them up on their "weekend trial" offer instead of just the drive around the block.

Kathy,
Good work on pressing your dealer and BBB to adjust to your situation. It's a shame that you had to go through that. I've owned many GM cars and currently drive a 2000 LeSabre that performs in all conditions as well (if not better) as any of the maybe 20 cars I've owned. Before you actually buy another car I'd suggest you do a one day or weekend rental of a few of the model's you are interested in. That's a real good way for about $25-$30 to see if you really like one.
Good Luck.

lkathyf
06-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Renting a car for a "test" drive is a good idea. I will keep it in mind. So far we have been to several dealers and test (around the block) driven several cars. Trying to get a feel as to what we want. Just can't seem to get excited about any of them. I think I am still a little "gun" shy. Just not in the mood to go through this all again. Sort of takes the fun out of the whole process.

Add your comment to this topic!