Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 CEL problem...how many others are having this?

ammie
04-21-2004, 12:59 PM
I have a 2000 LS V6 that has the CEL problem.

My problem started last July (when I had about 60K miles on it). The CEL came on and the truck felt like it was about to stall. Brought it in to the dealer, they told me I needed an EGR valve, the plugs needed cleaning etc.., total cost was $500+. My husband told them no and we left the truck alone. It runs fine except for the CEL. It would go on and off.

I now brought it to a friend of ours who has a shop. He tuned it up and hooked the truck up to the computer and he came back with a code 463. I'm also having the problem with the gas light blinking, but it would only happen when I have a 1/4 tank of gas and I'm making a right turn.

How many people out there are having this problem? Has there been a recall for it? Is it covered under the warranty? Thanks in advance!

wb4lbg
04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
That code is for 'Fuel Level Sensor Circuit, High Voltage'. Sounds like you are having the commonly occuring sending unit problem. The metal tabs that slide along the resistive part of the unit need to be bent back so that they make contact.

I haven't done it but they say it's not that hard once you drop the fuel tank - that's the hard part. I think the sending unit itself is only about $35 but the labor is a couple hundred bucks.

How long is the warranty on the 2000's? Might this be covered? I would certainly try to get the dealer to do it for free. I've also seen it posted somewhere that Isuzu will be issuing a recall for this in the near future. In the meantime, if the gauge goes completely whacko, you can always use the odometer to keep track of how much gas is left.

Hope this helps!

JWS

amigo-2k
04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
if you are the first owner the sending unit should be replaced for free.

The EGR is easy to clean (no more then a 1 hour 5dollar job), See me FAQ link at the bottom of them post for a DIY cleaning of the EGR and EGR tube.

Also, with 60k on the ticker I would get the plugs swaped out before the seaze into the block.
-Ryan

Davejb
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
How long is the warranty on the 2000's? Might this be covered? I would certainly try to get the dealer to do it for free. I've also seen it posted somewhere that Isuzu will be issuing a recall for this in the near future. In the meantime, if the gauge goes completely whacko, you can always use the odometer to keep track of how much gas is left.JWS

Powertrain warranty is 10 years 120k miles for original owner, 5 years 60k miles for subsiquent owners, this repair is covered if the vehicle is covered. There will be no recall on this problem, if there is I'd be very surprised.

wb4lbg
04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Pretty sure it was Amigo-2K (Ryan) that found it on another forum that there was going to be a recall on this. What about it Ryan?

JWS
99 Rodeo LSE 4x4

ammie
04-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Powertrain warranty is 10 years 120k miles for original owner, 5 years 60k miles for subsiquent owners, this repair is covered if the vehicle is covered. There will be no recall on this problem, if there is I'd be very surprised.

I am the original owner. I called the service dept. and they told me it's not covered. They said it's 3 yr/50,000. What part of the warranty would this be covered under? Engine or powertrain? (sorry if the answer is obvious...I'm just not sure LOL) He did ask me if I purchased the extended warranty (which I didn't. I wasn't planning on keeping this truck. I was leasing it and just bought it out).

ammie
04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
if you are the first owner the sending unit should be replaced for free.

The EGR is easy to clean (no more then a 1 hour 5dollar job), See me FAQ link at the bottom of them post for a DIY cleaning of the EGR and EGR tube.

Also, with 60k on the ticker I would get the plugs swaped out before the seaze into the block.
-Ryan

Wow Ryan! Great website! I covered just about every problem I'm having with the truck (the thump when stopping and pulling away). Is that something my dealer should handle, or have my mechanic friend fixed?

I'm gonna wait and see if someone responds to my warranty question about the fuel sensor thingy. If it's covered and the dealer is fixing it, I'll have them fix the thumping sound as well.

amigo-2k
04-21-2004, 05:35 PM
It's covered. You're not the first person to have your dealer refuse to replace it. The folks that had problems with their dealers would either call the regional service rep or call corp isuzu up. Do either of the two and you will get it replaced for free.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/135272warranty_10year.jpg

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp#

The thumping can be done by any old mechanic. I had my isuzu dealer do mine and they charged my 50 bucks.

The 2004 Rodeo's now have 1 peice drive shafts. I'm sure they are very pricey.

-Ryan

ammie
04-21-2004, 05:49 PM
wow ryan!

Thank you so much! What kills me is I bet that was the problem all along with my truck. When I brought it to the dealer last year they said it was my EGR valve. Wait...I just found the receipt from that visit. It says "vehicle needs new EGR valve. Also recommend throttle body and fuel injection service" $526 parts and labor. huh.

ammie
04-21-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't see sending unit listed. Is it part of something else up there? Sorry. I just want to be prepared when the dealer tells me it's not covered.

amigo-2k
04-21-2004, 05:56 PM
I cleaned my EGR and trottle body last summer for 1buck. 1 can of carb cleaner safe for O2 sensors cost me a buck. I also, replaced the PCV at a cost of, I think, 12 bucks; which I purchased from St. Charles isuzu.

Old EGR use to be vaccum actuated. And when they went bad, then yes they needed to be replaced. The new solinoid ones usually only need to be cleaned.

As for fuel injection service, I run one bottle of Chervron Techron concentrate every 3k in my gas.

I'm also, planning on adding sea foam (per their instructions) to the oil once every 6 months about 250-500 miles before I change the oil.

Isuzu's really like to build up carbon. And when they do they idle ruff, and burn oil.

If you haven't changed the fuel filter yet, plan on doing it after you use the Techron.

-Ryan

Davejb
04-21-2004, 06:10 PM
I don't see sending unit listed. Is it part of something else up there? Sorry. I just want to be prepared when the dealer tells me it's not covered.

It's part of the fuel pump, which is covered. I had to call Isuzu customer relations and have them call my dealer to tell them to cover it.

ammie
04-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks! I'm calling tomorrow!

ammie
04-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I called and made an appt. with a different dealer further away from me. I did call the dealer closest to me first but he said that they only have one Isuzu technician that works on warranty cars?? And that he'll be out for the next 7 weeks due to a broken leg? What am I, an idiot? I'm calling Isuzu headquarters tomorrow and complaining.

Add your comment to this topic!