Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What if I donot have a remote

sammuts
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I am a rookie on sound and trying to install an amp all by myself. Now If i donot have a remote to switch on and off my amp to what can I connect it then.

Directly to the +12V of my stereo or to the ignition?

Thanks for your help

sr20de4evr
04-21-2004, 11:45 AM
You should have a remote output from the headunit, even stock ones come with remote outputs. The remote isn't a "remote" like you're probably thinking, it's just a wire that you connect to something, normally the headunit. When the headunit turns on it puts out 12V through that remote wire, and that tells the amp to turn on.

burly
04-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Your other option is to use any 12V ignition switched wire. On my car I don't have a sunroof, so I wired by rearview mirror into that fuse location a while back. When I installed my amplifier, I just tapped into that wire, which is ignition switched. The only real draw back to this, is that your amp will be on anytime the car is running or on ACC. Meaning, if you turn the headunit off, the amp will still be getting power. Not a big deal, since there will no sound coming through it unless you have a noisy electrical system. Also, most people who put subs in their cars don't ride around all day with the radio off. If this is a real problem however, you can do what I did. I installed a switch of my own between the wire coming from the fuse box and the wire going to the amplifer. This way, I can manually defeat the amplifer at any time, great for when you have people in the car and want to be able to talk but still have soft music on.

COchevySS
04-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Another place you would be able to hook it up is from the power antena wire coming off of your head unit

PaulD
04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
be careful ....... on some units, the power antenna is only active when the radio is on - so the amp will turn off when the cd player is on.

COchevySS
04-27-2004, 07:26 PM
I never thought of that.

bumpinneon
04-29-2004, 02:43 AM
i always run my remote wire from my radio fuse in the fuse panel on the dash board and from there it goes to a switch then to the amp works pretty good for me. just take the fuse out of the fuse panel and wrap the wire around one of the fuse needles (or whatever you wanna call them) and run it from there you dont have to use a switch but i like to be able to turn my amp if i need too

Add your comment to this topic!