Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

display case

sugarfree
04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
hi guys, dunno whether someone already point it out or not, just joined recently. *prepared to get flamed...!!

to the topic, yeah... is it worthed to make the display case by our self? what sort of material do we need? i dont wanna go to glass material. they are more expensive than acrylic and fragile (!!).

whats the best solution and how do i make it?

thx a bunch people.

911S_TARGA_RSR
04-20-2004, 11:34 PM
look online for a little display case it will cost at the least $20.

sugarfree
04-21-2004, 12:04 AM
yea... done that, but unfortunately, i live cross the pacific, in new zealand to be precise. the shipping cost wud b massive, dont they? i was thinking if i might be able to make my own display case, i'll make one that can fit couple cars in a row.

ive got this idea from making a fish tank. im pretty sure it will ended up fairly cheaper. considering im a full time uni student and dont have much money on my hand.

jgmodelcars
04-21-2004, 12:10 AM
you can buy individual plasic cases for each model they're about 7$US , they work good i like them.

sugarfree
04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
hey,thats cheap. where did u find it? internet?? whats normally the shipping cost from US accross the pacific, say NZ or Australia? if the shipping cost is dead expensive, ill forget it... :(

yellow15
04-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Where about in NZ are you SugarFree?
some hobby shops here in Auckland have the display case for sale. And i know a guy who makes custom glass display case and the price is reasonable

sugarfree
04-22-2004, 04:08 AM
im in akl, for real. there are some, i also know a shop (so far) that can order display case. i cnt remember whether its glass or acrylic. it's "ace hobby" in birkenhead. they got nz$69-ish for a box that can fit 3 1/24th cars. never tried it or seen it before... even in-store. they dont have the big one on display. so yea... keep wondering for cheap one.

yellow15, r u in nz as well?? where about?

criptix
04-22-2004, 04:59 AM
I used Googles Froogle searched for 1/24 Model display cases and came up with these.

Heres a single display case for 7.29 US

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRY93&P=M

Another single for 5.99 US

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXP931&P=FR

One for 3.99 US

http://pages.goodbuygirls.com/cgi-bin/google.cgi/itemKey=1921054897?itemKey=1921054897&store=%2Fstores%2Fgoodbuygirls&catId=car&itemNo=PP-094ck

ywwong
04-22-2004, 05:47 AM
I use Tamiya Display Case (C) for 1/24 car.. they are awesome.. but they are pricey also.

sugarfree
04-22-2004, 04:03 PM
criptix >> hey, thx man. open my eyes that there are some cheap display cases on the net. shud b worthed to spend time n search around.
im interested wit that $4 one. but, unfortunately, they arent shipping internationally (sux..!!). and a minimum order of 24 at that price, which is quite a lot for me. but thx anyway....

ywwong >> mm tamiya display case? i wish i can afford it. hehehe. ouw maybe nxt time, if i hav better income. dont hav any currently.

yellow15
04-22-2004, 04:48 PM
hey Sugarfree, yeah i'm in NZ and more precisely Auckland as well. I bought some cheap perspex display case from Model Air. was something like $40 for 2 i think. The quality is only OK for it's cheap price but because it's not glass... it's not really clear, looks cheap and can scratch easily

Later on i ordered a large glass display case from this guys: http://www.displaycase.co.nz/
Which is really awesome, it can fit like 15 models (which i thought would be more than enough for me.. ar... a big mistake), made of glass with a wooden base painted in black. Very good quality and looks great!! Can't remember how much it was but it's very reasonable price.. i think around $200NZ and includes delivery.

sugarfree
04-23-2004, 04:31 PM
hey nice to see fellow new zealanders here. thx for the link. got an idea of where i hav to search around. i may order the cabinet one. but its quite dear, close to 400bux. did u custom order ur one?? cannot see any one that fit 15 1/24th

iceblend
04-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Maybe u could try ikea for cheaper cabinets.

mike@af
04-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Build one out of plexi. Just an idea.

GvEman
04-25-2004, 02:03 PM
i have a big glass displase funeture... bought fom ikea=) it is raly nice... it is quite high and you can have about 3 vars per shelf and it is about 5 shelfs if i remember....

blueboost
04-25-2004, 02:05 PM
i want one of the display cases they use in sharper image to display their 1:18 die casts. I've wanted one of those forever!! they have no info in the store on where they get them and I bet they are way out of my league ($$$ wise)

sugarfree
04-25-2004, 04:50 PM
mm .. im interested on that plexi things. but i never working on that kind of stuff before.
is that something that u bake for a certain temp, then u take it out and bend it to form a box?? or something else???
well... im a bit lost tho.
cabinet shud b ok. but... it cost more, dont u think? cos they usually stands from the ground up. and... most of the time, they are over-built. with glass door is also available, but do they actually dust-proof? cos i dont wanna dusting my models once i finished it. i may wreck it up, ie: door mirror fallen apart, the aerial snap, gear knob broke, etc etc. sorry to sounds so annoying, but i made my point, didnt i? i believe many people experiencing that as well

yellow15
04-25-2004, 05:04 PM
there is no ikea here in New Zealand :(

but anyway, SugarFree, yeah i ask them to make a display case so it fits exactly (i.e. same size) on top of a cabinet in my room. Their website just shows some example of what they can do, you can custom order almost anything from them. Yes their price is not cheap but well worth it i think. And there is no gaps so it's dust proof :D
I may take a pic of my display case tontie and show you how it looks

sugarfree
04-25-2004, 05:08 PM
cool man... will b much appreciated :D
ill pm u 4 me mail addy
cheers

yellow15
05-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Sorry about taking so long but here is a pic of my display case:
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v75/yellow15/Models/Misc/case.jpg

sugarfree
05-03-2004, 07:01 AM
thats a real nice display case....!!!! honest. i might getting something like that or alternatively, a cabinet.

Add your comment to this topic!