Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front License Plate Frame - How to Remove

chenkw
04-20-2004, 06:08 PM
How do I remove the big black front license plate frame/holder thats connected to the bumper?

I hate how that ugly thing looks but I can't seem to figure out how to take it off.

Any ideas?

kmoe
04-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Do you have a Denali front end or a regular Yukon?

chenkw
04-21-2004, 11:01 PM
I have a 2001 Denali. I asked the service department at the dealer and they wouldn't tell me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Vroom2
04-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Hello,

There are four "popper" rivets you'll want to drill out. Depending on how clean you are with the drill this will leave behind four small...or larger... holes in the bumper cover. Good luck...

Take care,
Jerry

kmoe
04-22-2004, 02:48 AM
I did exactly what Vroom2 said when I had to replace mine when it got cracked. I started with a smaller drill bit and increased the size of the bit until the right one was found.

chenkw
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
so what did you guys do to cover up the holes afterward?

kmoe
04-22-2004, 02:22 PM
I put another license plate holder (since the first one got cracked) since my state requires a front license plate.

Vroom2
04-22-2004, 10:43 PM
I only took mine off to have it painted. Ditto on the front license plate requirement, though. It went back on as soon as the paint dried.

I don't think there's much you can do to fill in the holes once it's off - short of replacing the bumper cover. I can tell you that this item is installed at the dealer, not at the factory. Probably useless info, except for the folks considering a Denali - it may not be too late to prevent it from being installed.

Take care,
Jerry

chenkw
04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
thanks for the help.

demo007
07-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I live in a state that requires displaying your license plate on both the front and back of the vehicle. I purchased my '01 Denali from a different state and I guess it wasn't required there. But my front bumper has no license plate bracket (I like that clean look, too :naughty: ). Well, I recently got ticketed :mad: for improper display of my license plate. So, I guess I'm forced now to get it fixed. I've been looking for the bracket online, myself, just to see if I can find it at low price, but have been unsuccessful so far. The dealer wants to charge something like $25 for the part and with labor a grand total of $70 bucks :eek7: . Is that unreasonable, or is it just me?

Does anyone know where I can find a front license plate bracket for an '01 Denali, relatively cheap? And, how involved is it as a do-it-yourself type project. I assumed it would require drilling, which has me really leaning to having a profesional install it, as I don't want to risk messing up my ride. Is the Dealer going to be the only place I can go?

Any advice, help, or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Add your comment to this topic!