Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hasegawa Lamborghini Miura - polishing steps. Anyone can translate?

shieldwulf
04-20-2004, 06:53 AM
I got this link from an earlier thread. What is of interest, other than the excellent model kit, is the 3rd page of this "making" process, where the polishing part comes in. I can see that a number of chemicals were used - Tamiya Finishing Compound, Hasegawa Coating Polymer, Tamiya Modeling Wax and another 2 which I could not identify.

http://www50.tok2.com/home2/carmodels/making_miurasv_03.htm

Because the polished shine was superb. I wonder if the following steps are applied in order as described on that web page:
1) Sanding(?)
2) Tamiya Compound (we now have Coarse, Fine and Finish versions)
3) Hasegawa Coating Polymer
4) Tamiya Modeling Wax

Incidentally, I discovered there is a Hasegawa Ceramic Compound perhaps it is same as Tamiya Compound.

I also recently learnt the hard way that the cloth used for polishing can scratch the finish. So now I only use cloth meant for polishing!

tonioseven
04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Go to www.altavista.com and find the Translator link; they have a Kanji translator there.

shieldwulf
04-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Go to www.altavista.com (http://www.altavista.com/) and find the Translator link; they have a Kanji translator there.I already did, all I got was decoding error or something like that :screwy:

Then, I tried the "translate a block of text" thing by copying the Japanese texts and pasted it onto the field. The translated output was weird, with some parts still in Japanese, and hilarious: :rofl:

Here are the translated texts of that page, each block of text is in order of each block of instructions:

[Section 1]2004/04/06Part 1:
Being to blow yesterday clearing, it does, but worry of decare it to be around the headlight, because you could not blow excessively, it made today to blow again. Generally about half you blew in the cup of the brush. If just コレ blows, already it probably is sufficient. Temporarily about 3 days probably to lay down you try.

[Section 2]2004/04/08Part 1:[photo of the polishing compounds on right]
Because two days or more it could lay down from second clearing paint, it starts grinding gradually, entering to job keeping is good probably will be... with it judged, started grinding to do it made. The item which you use always similar, the medical one compound, モデナコンパウンド and タミヤコン pound, the modeling wax, is the coating polymer.

Part 2:
コチラ body of dry leaving state. The thinner comes out, the surface 「 pear area (it is not the じ) has become the 」. very is not, is, but it does not go to ワケ which continues job in this state. It starts grinding, does and increases. If it is normal, after averaging the whole with the paper about of the #1500, being to use the compound, it does, but when it is inside, the paper is not applied altogether. To however you use モデナコンパウンド and increase. The 「 detail 」 for the actual car being to seem, it does, but model the 「 roughly it is the eye 」. First it continues to polish コレ intently in the base.

Part 3:
While watching at the television, it started grinding, the thing 3 hour which is done... a state like the photograph to the right it became. If you compare with the photograph above, don't you think? you understand and increase the difference. Temporarily, モデナコンパウンド -> it polished in order of タミヤコンパウンド, but in addition イマイチ feeling. Because today also producing bB, you became tired, it makes so far. In addition the continuation we will assume that tomorrow you do

[Section 3]2004/04/09Part 1:
Temporarily, one evening you put, start grinding for the second time continue. It continued to polish today intently with タミヤコンパウンド. By comparison with the photograph of point in time of yesterday above, the feeling where the reflection of light to the bonnet has become small does. If well generally this extent it probably is OK. The coating polymer -> finishing with the modeling wax, it starts grinding and job in a general way is end.

Part 2:
Temporarily, the body which it starts grinding, it ends chassis and ドッキ ング. The body which has become ピカピカ does not accumulate being, the shank ぇ? (Laughing) to start grinding temporarily, because it ended job, you try probably to keep entering to the paint of the part where the body is small and the paint of the chassis.

shieldwulf
04-20-2004, 01:08 PM
After some "investigative works" :biggrin: trying to interpret what was mentioned in Section 2 - Part 1 (with photos of finishing compounds on right), I believe this is what I've managed to "decode". I've added additional words(underlined)/minor modifications to aid in understanding and provide links on other websites for photo. :iceslolan

FYI again, the section of the web page I'm trying to understand is at http://www50.tok2.com/home2/carmode..._miurasv_03.htm

Original text:
使用するアイテムはいつも同様、メディカルワンコンパウンド、モデナコンパウンド、タミヤコンパウンド、モ デリングワックス、コーティングポリマーです

Badly translated text by AltaVista Babel:
The item which you use always similar, the medical one compound, モデナコンパウンド, タミヤコンパウンド and the modeling wax, is the coating polymer
1. Madeikaru マディカル Wan ワン Compound コンパウンド (Magical Compound 1 by WORK)
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?WRK00008
http://www.work-web.co.jp/cata11.html

2. Modena モデナ Compound コンパウンド (General modeller's compound?)

3. Tamiya タミヤ Compound コンパウンド
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAM87068
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAM87069
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAM87070

4. Tamiya タミヤ Modeling モデリング Wax ワックス
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAM87036

5. Hasegawa ハセガワ Coating コーティング Polymer ポリマー
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?HSGTT-24

The only questions left to ponder are:
- Is this the actual sequence described for polishing in the texts? Or are they mere descriptions without any order?
- Is the Tamiya Modeling Wax and Hasegawa Coating Polymer applied one after another, or are they supposed to be either option (i.e. mutually exclusive)?

malsheem
04-20-2004, 10:07 PM
The only questions left to ponder are:
- Is this the actual sequence described for polishing in the texts? Or are they mere descriptions without any order?
- Is the Tamiya Modeling Wax and Hasegawa Coating Polymer applied one after another, or are they supposed to be either option (i.e. mutually exclusive)?

To my knowledge Hasegawa's Coating Polymer is a final step wax to be used after their Ceramic Compound. That's my finish process after using a detail kit. In my experience, they work better than others, but they are more expensive.

hirofkd
04-20-2004, 10:14 PM
The modeler doesn't sand the surface to get rid of the orange peal. He uses Modena Compond which is a name of a car polish. He says, it's rated "fine," but is considered coarse for car modeling. I think Tamiya Compound Coarse Type is similar.

After three hours of polishing, he uses Tamiya Compound, then Hasegawa Coating Polymer and finish with Tamiya Modeling Wax.

Coating Polymer and Modeling Wax are interchangeable, but I suggest using Hasegwa's Ceramic Compound between Tamiya Compound and Hasegawa Coating Polymer.

Make sense?

coarse compound (Modena Compound, Tamiya Comp. Coarse)
general use compound (Tamiya Comp. General)
fine compound (Tamiya Comp. Finishing, Modeler's Top Comp.)
ultra fine compound (Hasegawa Ceramic Comp.)
protective coat (Hasegawa Coating Polymer, Tamiya Modeling Wax)

You don't need all of these to create a mirror-like surface. In fact, you only need a set of sand papers, (2000-12000), Tamiya Comp. and Modeling Wax.

ex-r
04-20-2004, 10:26 PM
You don't need all of these to create a mirror-like surface. In fact, you only need a set of sand papers, (2000-12000), Tamiya Comp. and Modeling Wax.

What kind of wax? The Tamiya one? I use the Micro mesh polishing cloths, then after I finish off with Novus 2. Is that enough? Also when so you use the Tamiya compound? Before or after the polishing cloths? With just using the cloths then the novus, it comes out looking like glass, but there are still the superfine scratches that can be seen. Would the Tamiya wax be better than the Novus?

shieldwulf
04-21-2004, 02:45 AM
The modeler doesn't sand the surface to get rid of the orange peal. He uses Modena Compond which is a name of a car polish. He says, it's rated "fine," but is considered coarse for car modeling. I think Tamiya Compound Coarse Type is similar.

After three hours of polishing, he uses Tamiya Compound, then Hasegawa Coating Polymer and finish with Tamiya Modeling Wax.

Coating Polymer and Modeling Wax are interchangeable, but I suggest using Hasegwa's Ceramic Compound between Tamiya Compound and Hasegawa Coating Polymer.

Make sense?

coarse compound (Modena Compound, Tamiya Comp. Coarse)
general use compound (Tamiya Comp. General)
fine compound (Tamiya Comp. Finishing, Modeler's Top Comp.)
ultra fine compound (Hasegawa Ceramic Comp.)
protective coat (Hasegawa Coating Polymer, Tamiya Modeling Wax)

Thank you for your translation and explanation again :) You are an asset to AF!

a) What about the "Magical 1 Compound"? Did the modeller of that web page use that as the 1st step compound in place of "sanding"?

b) I would always prefer compound than sand paper. Because it is difficult and expensive to get higher grit sand paper locally in Singapore other than Tamiya's finishing papers, which are only up to 2000 grit maximum. If I were to modify on your list of sequence, I wonder if this also makes sense? Here is my proposed steps, please amend if you have better ideas.

1) Primer
2) Base colour
3) Clear coat
4) Tamiya 2000 grit finishing papers
5) Magical 1 Compound / Toothpaste (acts as a more "rougher" compound)
6) Tamiya Compound Coarse
7) Tamiya Compound Fine / GSI Fine Compound
8) Tamiya Compound Finish / GSI Ultra Fine Compound
9) Hasegawa Ceramic Compound
10) Hasegawa Coating Polymer / Tamiya Modeling Wax

Add your comment to this topic!