Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mixxing chrome & orange Tamiya paint for airbrushing...Q's

Vegetta
04-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Quick question...

I'm picking up my airbrush tomarrow (switching to airbrush to mix custom colors instead of rattle-cans).

I want to mix a semi-metalic orange, so I was going to pick up a bottle of Tamiya Orange and bottle of chrome. Will mixxing these two produce the color I'm looking for? If so at what ratio's should I try mixxing it? I was thinking 3/4 orange 1/4 chrome. Also, will I need to add thinner to the paint before I shoot it? I've read I'd need to add Tamiya thinner to produce a glossy appearance (which is what I'm looking for, of course).

Thanks.

mike@af
04-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Heres some tips for mixing:

Always mix two of the same paints if you want to mix paints (i.e. Acrylic&Acrylic).

Tamiya Thinner is for Tamiya Acrylic paints only.

Always thin your paint before spraying, until its like milk. (Make sure to thin with the proper thinners).

If you want a metallic, add a metallic silver. Mess with different ratios, start off with a little and mix more until you like it.

Vegetta
04-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks.

RallyRaider
04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Tamiya Thinner is for Tamiya Acrylic paints only.

They make one for their enamel paints as well, don't confuse the two!

mike@af
04-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Tney make one for their enamel paints as well, don't confuse the two!

Really? I have only seen Tamiya Acrylic thinner, you learn something new everyday.

Vegetta
04-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Any estimates on how much paint I'll need to mix in order to paint a Mugen NSX?

Will 1 jar be enough to cover the body? (minus the hood, roof, and rear deck... which will all be either blue or CF) or should I mix 2 jars?

Sorry for the dumba$$ newbie airbrush paintmixxing Q's, I just wanna get it right the first time.

BTW... The car will be a "street" version of the Mugen NSX. Meaning, no full-on race decals. Metallic orange body, PROBABLY black or CF hood/roof/rear deck, and blue interior and wheels.

mech0t0
04-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I have no luck mixing Chrome with orange :mad: I did a car model for my friend using the following method to simulated metalic orange:

1) apply a full coat of chrome, metalic sliver.... (prefered oil based: Gunze's metalic sliver or spray can)
2) Airbush a light coat of clear orange (Water based: Tamiya, Gunze)

Good luck with your airbrush, and have fun!

willimo
04-18-2004, 10:13 PM
I will have to agree with mech0t0. The metal flakes in the chrome plate will not mix properly with the orange and you will not get the look you are after, I would do it in a two-stage coat like that. One jar should be plenty to cover the car, doing a few light coats will both yeild better coverage (like spray cans) but will also conserve paint. I often make the mistake of mixing way too much paint, but its better than too little any day.

supermod04
04-18-2004, 11:55 PM
i just got my airbrush kit, and compressor and the paint needs to be like milk or water really thinn

the ratio is like 2 parts thinner for 1 part paint.

if the color you want is a metalic orange like a bright metalic orange yes the chorme and orange will work

heres how i would do it

primer
chrome
orange
clear

i wouldnt mix the chrome and orange i would use the chrome as a base.

Merkava
04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
For metallic orange I basecoat with Testors Chrome Silver, followed by a thin, semi-translucent coat of Testors Gloss Red. Then I airbrush Testors Turn-Signal Amber over all of it. The Amber is both metallic and pearlescent, so the resulting color is a beautiful, shimmering copper hue.
You can spray more or less red over the silver to change the final color (and believe me, the red really makes a difference).

I thin all Testors paints with turpentine (60% paint to 40% thinner).

freakray
04-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Really? I have only seen Tamiya Acrylic thinner, you learn something new everyday.

X-20 is Tamiya's enamel thinner.
X-20A is Tamiya's acrylic thinner.

MPWR
04-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Hafta disagree with you guys. I've had excellent results mixing Tamiya chrome silver with clear colors. Spraying clear colors by themselves to get satisfacory results on something large like a car body is very difficult- even color applicaton will drive you crazy!! There's a reason nobody recommends Tamiya smoke for tinting windshields! Mixing the silver and orange beforehand is in my experience a far superior approach. The cars that I've done this way have all turned out terrific.

I'd be tempted to mix gold leaf or titanium gold with the orange instead of silver, as these metallics may well look better with the orange. I'd also probably get some of the clear red, to 'kick' the orange color mix a bit, if necissary.

The biggest problem with mixing silver and clear is opacity. Prime it first, obviously, and spray light, even coats, building up the color slowly. But before trying it on the car, do plenty of test spraying, until you're happy with the color (I can't emphasise this enough!)

Be ready to strip and try again. Mixing custom colors is not an easy task- but don't let it discourage you. I'ts a terrific way to learn. Tamiya acrylics strip easily cleanly and completely, so there is no harm in making mistakes.

Yes, Tamiya does make a thinner for its line of enamels, that's completely different than the acrylic thinner- but if you've never seen Tamiya enamels, you've never seen the thinner for them, either!

2:1 thinner:paint?? Are you serious???!!!

Bilson8tor
04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
quick question while were talkinga about paint mixing, is it ok if i mix tamiya paing with model master thinner?

Vegetta
04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
I'd be tempted to mix gold leaf or titanium gold with the orange instead of silver, as these metallics may well look better with the orange. I'd also probably get some of the clear red, to 'kick' the orange color mix a bit, if necissary.

I was thinking the same thing... trying to mix a red/orange/gold color to match the Signal Auto D1 Drift Nissan Silvias.

The biggest problem with mixing silver and clear is opacity. Prime it first, obviously, and spray light, even coats, building up the color slowly. But before trying it on the car, do plenty of test spraying, until you're happy with the color (I can't emphasise this enough!)

I do plan on testing A LOT before I actually lay down the paint on the car(s).

The only other color I'm planning on mixxing is a blue metallic peach/orange (yea, that'll be a pain in the ass..... Lamborgini makes this color for their Diablo SV models) for a Castrol Supra. Unless I can get the light hint of metallic blue to show through the peach/orange paint, I guess I'll just have to paint the body metalic blue first, then layer thin layers of the peach/orange on top until I get the result I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replys..

mike@af
04-20-2004, 08:07 PM
quick question while were talkinga about paint mixing, is it ok if i mix tamiya paing with model master thinner?

NO. NEVER cross mix paints, ever. Never ever. :nono:

Bilson8tor
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM

mannnn... that means i have to go order more stuff from my LHS :mad:...

oh well...

rx7king
04-21-2004, 12:33 PM
mannnn... that means i have to go order more stuff from my LHS :mad:...

oh well...

:lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :grinno: :lol2: :lol2:

MPWR
04-21-2004, 09:40 PM
The only other color I'm planning on mixxing is a blue metallic peach/orange (yea, that'll be a pain in the ass..... Lamborgini makes this color for their Diablo SV models) for a Castrol Supra. Unless I can get the light hint of metallic blue to show through the peach/orange paint, I guess I'll just have to paint the body metalic blue first, then layer thin layers of the peach/orange on top until I get the result I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replys..

Metallic blue peach/orange??? Do you have a pic of the real car?

Vegetta
04-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Metallic blue peach/orange??? Do you have a pic of the real car?

I'll check through the online pics on Dupont Registry. It was like a peachish-orange with a blue pearl color.

Gallen Wolf
04-23-2004, 08:51 AM
This is kinda unrelated but I use mr colour water based & lacquers, tamiya acrylics and I thin all of them using Mr Leveling thinner. Another of my friend also does this, and it works great! One thinner to rule them all. Plus it dries smoother, from my personal observation.

GW

Vegetta
04-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, I did my mixxing today and at first it came out wayyy too dark/metalic. After pouring out 2/3's of the paint out and adding more of the Tamiya orange, it started to get better. Although I'm pleased with how it is right now, I think I'll still add a bit more orange and thinner (still haven't gotten the paint-thinner ratio down yet... as all i have to measure is 3cc syringes).

The colors I was shooting for were like the colors on a can of Sunkist soda, but the color right now is almost like a pearl orange and looks great when light hits it, especially the sun.

BTW... I gave up my search for an S13/S14 silvia and picked up the Avex-Mugen NSX instead. the body will be the metallic orange and the hood/A-pillars/roof/rear-deck will all be blue. (Think of the Sunkist soda cans for a color refference ;) ). Rims will also be the blue color.

Vegetta
04-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Got the orange down, it came out pretty good, except I've got some orange-peal I've got to sand out with some 1500grit sandpaper. After that, I'll be adding a bit more thinner to the orange I have left and do another spray. After that, it's time for the mixxing of the blue for the hood/roof/rear deck.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:, BTW, I've got pics on the digital camera, just don't have the Kodak Easyshare software installed yet and I don't know how to upload them w/o it.

Vegetta
05-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Here's how it came out...

(first time posting pics on a board from a digital cam, so it might take a couple trys).

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1080700

Link to pic if above pic doesn't work (http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1080700)

Vegetta
05-13-2004, 05:28 PM
I think I'll be posting a thread on this in the "In Progress" forum...

Nobbys Nuts
05-14-2004, 01:17 AM
As long as you make sure the paints or the thinner and paint are compatible then yes you can mix them.
For example you can thin Gunze acrylics, Tamiya Acrylics, Parma Faskolor paints with Tamiyas X20A Acrylic thinner and you can mix any of these paints with each other.
I have done this many times with no problems.
The same applies with different enamel based paints - they can be safely thinned with either Testors enamel thinners, Tamiya X20 thinner or Mineral Turpentine.
There may be others but I have not used anything other than those listed above.
Is this similiar to the colour you were chasing?
http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/7185/2835Veilside_S14.JPG?8068
It is Testors colours by Boyd 52716 Orange Pearl over a Testors Chrome Silver base.
Has not had a coat of clear or been polished yet.

Vegetta
05-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Yea, that's the exact color I was after... but I'm pleased with the results I got. Actually, after looking at the pic of my car above (thanks to whoever fixxed the link to show the pic), in person, the orange on the NSX is a bit darker, not quite as "light orange".

Also, the air-scoop that goes over the rear window and the rear-brake vents are also blue, and the wing isn't attached, it's just sitting on the car.

The next car I build I'll be using your technique w/ the Testors.

phase5
05-15-2004, 12:20 AM
the way i have made metalic paint is to add automotive pearl powder to the base color and you have metalic paint just don't add to much as it will change color

Nobbys Nuts
05-15-2004, 03:03 AM
the way i have made metalic paint is to add automotive pearl powder to the base color and you have metalic paint just don't add to much as it will change color
Hi Dwayne. Good to see you still browsing.
Where do you pick up your powder?
Cheers
Tony

phase5
05-15-2004, 05:37 AM
Hi Dwayne. Good to see you still browsing.
Where do you pick up your powder?
Cheers
Tony
I got it from a paint shop tha also supplies automotive paint it cost $3-4au for about 10 grams(sounds like buying drugs) but 10 grams will go along way i have around 6 different pearls of around 25 colours

Add your comment to this topic!