Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weird Clunking Sounds

Puff-Cloud
04-18-2004, 06:10 PM
I have an 89 S-10 Blazer with a v6 4.3 fuel injection engine, automattic transmission, and 4wd. I hope this will help you figure out what my problem may be.

Lately, I've been noticing a weird clunking sound coming from under my car. It happens only between the speeds of 10-20 mph and only when I do not have the gas pedal pressed. In other words, it happens at 10-20 mph with no gas applied to it.

The noise gets loudest at 15 mph, but as soon as it hits 10 mph and lower, or after 20 mph, the noise stops. I also notice that when I press the gas pedal the slightest bit, the noise stops. My car still works fine, no problems, except my leaky radiator, which i'm fixing.

Could the problem lie with the transmission, the differential, the driveshaft, the CV joints, the clutch, or does it lie with another problem? If you can help me figure it out, I'd really appreciate it.

amac209
04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
time to lift it up and find whats loose. check all the bushings, u-joints, tranny/engine mounts, swaybar links, balljoints and all that good stuff. also inspect the exhaust it might be hitting something. where does the noise feel like it's coming from? does it make any noise in park? how about if you shift from reverse to drive with the brakes on? and vice versa.

Philo
04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
One more thing to check (assuming you have torsion bar front suspension - not sure): The torsion bar cross member. It has pads at the ends, and they wear out, leaving you with metal to metal contact. Take a pry bar or large screw driver and pry between the frame and the cross member. If it moves (more than slightly), you need new pads.

Puff-Cloud
04-20-2004, 06:20 PM
time to lift it up and find whats loose. check all the bushings, u-joints, tranny/engine mounts, swaybar links, balljoints and all that good stuff. also inspect the exhaust it might be hitting something. where does the noise feel like it's coming from? does it make any noise in park? how about if you shift from reverse to drive with the brakes on? and vice versa.

My dad (previous owner of the car) says it may be the engine mounts. To answer some of your questions, it only happens in the drive gear. I check the tranny fluid and there are no metal shavings. I've been thinking the same thing with the exhaust. like i said, it only happens at a certain speed. The sound appears to be coming from the back. I inspected the brakes, but they're fine.

Add your comment to this topic!