1997 Bonneville SSEI dies, won't start

dddfam
04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
We have a 1997 Bonneville SSEi that we've had for about 2 years. For 1 1/2 years of that time it's been in various shops, no one can fix this car. It will start every morning without fail, but during the day if your driving around and stop somewhere, you come back out and it won't start. It cranks, it has fuel pressure at the rail on top of the engine (someone suggested I check that). Anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours later it will start and run fine. Other times it will randomly de while driving, sometimes it startys back up, osmetimes your sitting.

Have: changed fuel filter, new battery, new key, new battery cables.

Also: getting all kinds of different warning lights, sometimes says low coolant, engine, brake light and chime for an hour, varies day to day. Could it be the main computer? and where is that? someone has suggested the security system, is there w way to shut that off. Have a friend with a 1996 grand prix, doing the same things.

Love this card would like to drive it. oh yeah, has only about 65,000 miles.

Thank you

BonneMeMn
04-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Does the security light flash? If so your key's may have a bad resistor.

Shrocat
04-25-2004, 11:46 AM
You need to check for spark when this happens. You probably are not getting it. And that is because something is failing when hot. Since you are getting random lights and warnings, you could have a bad computer, or a bad instrument cluster.
But check for spark first, and trace out the ignition system.

clutch492
05-19-2010, 08:45 PM
I know you said that it has fuel pressure on the fuel rail, but I had this same problem and there will, and was, always be a little fuel pressure on the fuel rail. However, the fuel pump was not running. Here is the cure for the problem you are having.......

If it is the same as the 96 bonneville, there is a ground connection bridge under the carpet, on the drivers' side, right near the front of the door frame. pull the carpet out from under the plastic trim located beside the seat. You will find a connector with about 8 to 10 ground wires. take off the black cover. you will find a strip of metal that connects all the grounds together. pull it out. You will see corrosion on some of the terminals. clean them with a wire wheel and reassemble. These are all the major ground connections for the car. The fuel pump grounds here as well. This is what is causing your electrical problem and why your car is stalling. I discovered this while searching this site in the past. And, it was correct. It cured the troubles with the bonneville I was working on.

There is another bridge (like the one on the drivers side) located on the passenger side. Check all of these grounds if you want, but the fuel pump is grounded on the drivers' side.

Tommy611
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I know you said that it has fuel pressure on the fuel rail, but I had this same problem and there will, and was, always be a little fuel pressure on the fuel rail. However, the fuel pump was not running. Here is the cure for the problem you are having.......

If it is the same as the 96 bonneville, there is a ground connection bridge under the carpet, on the drivers' side, right near the front of the door frame. pull the carpet out from under the plastic trim located beside the seat. You will find a connector with about 8 to 10 ground wires. take off the black cover. you will find a strip of metal that connects all the grounds together. pull it out. You will see corrosion on some of the terminals. clean them with a wire wheel and reassemble. These are all the major ground connections for the car. The fuel pump grounds here as well. This is what is causing your electrical problem and why your car is stalling. I discovered this while searching this site in the past. And, it was correct. It cured the troubles with the bonneville I was working on.

There is another bridge (like the one on the drivers side) located on the passenger side. Check all of these grounds if you want, but the fuel pump is grounded on the drivers' side.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I got home with the 99 Bonn and the next day it wouldn't start. It would crank, but not turn over. good gas & battery. Is the connection bridge under the drivers seat on the side close to the door ? or under the trim plate on the driver's side ? Thanks, Tom

Tech II
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Really should start your own thread.....

Check for codes?

When a vehicle won't start, that is when you have a fighting chance....you check for fuel pressure.....you check for spark....you check for injector pulse.....

Add your comment to this topic!