Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Windshield Wiper Switch/Motor/Circuit Board?

smartassu
04-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi

I have a 90 Jimmy. Recently the wipers went out, and then the washer quit working as well. I changed out the wiper motor and nothing. Then I put in a new circuit board, and still nothing. I have now gone out and purchased the wiper switch and have yet to install it due to the amount of work involved in case that's not the problem either.

Here's the deal; the wipers work on very rare occassions, (usually only half a wipe), when I turn the switch I can hear the wiper motor running, but wipers don't do anything. On intermittent the motor sounds loudest, the faster I go on intermittent, or if I switch it to low the motor gets slower. When I put the wiper on high, the motor cuts off completely.

Any ideas? Do I go ahead and go through with the switch changeout? Could it be possible that there may just be a disconnected wire somewhere, or a bad ground?

Thanks for the help!

GMCTech
04-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Just something to try:

With the wipers in one of the positions that works occasionally, hold a wire against the motor body and a known good ground.

This will eliminate any issues in the ground circuit.

If this fixes the intermittent issue, then just install a permanent wire to ground with a couple of ring terminals. You could probably use the ground that the hood light uses.

Also, double check and make sure that you have the right wiper control module -- There are two different part numbers with different applications.

Hope this helps.

smartassu
04-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't mean to sound like a moron, but I have been unable to find a ground wire leading to the wiper motor and/or to the wiper switch to test for a poor ground. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

troynall
05-26-2004, 02:33 PM
they had a fix for this on page # 1 for jimmys.
its the circuit board in the winsheild wiper motor case. get circuit board. find where connector mounts to board and resolder. use good solder.
worked for me.

Add your comment to this topic!